But if i played in the ducks wound that would of had fox saliva that could of held rabies then id run a chance of catching it? Im going over board here lol. Ill just keep an eye if i get symptoms or i might call the heath unit if i get uncomfortable. Thanks everyone. Will keep posting her recovery!

When you got the time, google the symptoms on rabies, then keep an eye out
on yourself. You are not going overboard at all. lol Just putting your mind at rest.
I would be the same. lol You probably scrubbed your hands, after handling her
each time, as well. So glad she is on the mend, be proud of yourself, and keep us
updated.

Ok so ill stop posting daily from now on as its no emergency but i will keep sharing whats going on. So something magical happened today. Today i woke up to her being perky, she was making her bubbly voice as she normally does. SHE ATE HER PELLETS (ALOT), MEAL WORMS AND DRANK LOTS OF WATER! im soo happy! she walked around in the basement tonight and then went back in her cage on her own. i didnt check the wound that much but tomorrow i will give her a bath and then apply polysporin and bandage it off for another 2 days just to make sure. Today she completely switched over to almost her normal self!

As for mr Fox, he came by today. and because i have wolves and coyottees around i had my gun out while doing yard work. as i was burning grass in the fire pit the dogs were playing near by and the chickens were out free ranging (right by the coop thank god) , i turned my head and saw the fox standing in the yard beside my car. i couldnt shoot because of its placement and by the time i could move to get a better shot it left... ill be keeping an eye and hopefully i will get the bugger!!

If you get the fox, they can test it for rabies. It's only a matter of whether it's the same fox. (They can sometimes compare bite marks to verify that.)

If you get the fox, they can test it for rabies. It's only a matter of whether it's the same fox. (They can sometimes compare bite marks to verify that.)
As this was Monday, the fox would already be dead if it had rabies. Rabid foxes don't eat. They act very aggressive and abnormally. They run at you to attack you and bite at anything else if they can not get at you. A rabid fox is obviously quite sick. Bats are the only carrier that can have the virus and not die quickly.
If Mr/Ms. Fox does die from lead poisoning, look around in the area close by and see if you can find the den .. even do this now. They have pups now that they are feeding. If you find them, take the pups to a wildlife care place or put them down so they don't starve to death.

Friday i missed my chance as the fox came out but was right infront of my car,... last night i had my two ducks in a box i made them wish wood and chicken wire so they can hangout outside without me worrying about the fox.The second we picked them both up and brought them inside we went back out to grab the water and the fox was inside the box looking for the ducks! We didnt have time to grab the gun and it was gone.... It comes back on a daily now so its just a matter of time. Its unfortunate that we must kill it but if i wanna keep my flock alive its what will have to be done.

On another note I DO NOT GET A BREAK!! While my duck was in recovery, the chickens decided to pick on my other duck and made a mess out of one side of its face :( i will post a photo..... Poor things and i dont know whats with me and injured animals..... The chickens pecked its face/eye and the poor thing has trouble with visibility on that side.... Can i put saline to wash it off or will it hurt her? I Still have pain killers/anti inflammatories from duck no.1 she doesnt seem to need them anymore im wondering if i could give that to her. I will be getting antibiotics this week for duck no1. Maybe i should get some for both?

Back
Top Bottom