Duck has leg issues

Macjjo

Chirping
Dec 19, 2021
I’ve had this bird for 5 years, and I’m beginning to see leg issues that are beginning to get to her. I believe she’s a Jumbo Pekin, and I’ve read about their health issues, but I hope to do something about this before it’s too late.
Her voice is becoming weak and she’s a bit more dull than usual. Is there anything I can do before its too late?
I have males in picture but she sticks with another female.

Attachments

• 5B53A860-ED1E-4183-8A8A-CCF1CCC34C36.jpeg
    5B53A860-ED1E-4183-8A8A-CCF1CCC34C36.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 0F7D235F-DCC5-49E0-ADB1-A5CA1F20866E.jpeg
    0F7D235F-DCC5-49E0-ADB1-A5CA1F20866E.jpeg
    687.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 71343D21-CFE6-4326-8941-BBA556EBB381.jpeg
    71343D21-CFE6-4326-8941-BBA556EBB381.jpeg
    589.3 KB · Views: 7
What type of feed does she get? If it's a voice change as well there could be something going on besides leg issues.

What type of feed does she get? If it's a voice change as well there could be something going on besides leg issues.
The voice issues could be from some exercise I tried to get her in a pool. However it’s likely from exhaustion.
I feed her Layena crumbles mostly. I tried to give her it only at certain intervals for a few days but it only made things worse. I’m not sure what to do

. I tried to give her it only at certain intervals for a few days but it only made things worse.
Tried to give her what at certain intervals? Her food? Do you mean at certain times throughout the day instead of free feeding?

Pekins are known for leg issues. I'd get some liquid complex b from tsc or a local farm supply. It will say injectable, but you give them 1mL per day. Just put it on her favorite snack.

Tried to give her what at certain intervals? Her food? Do you mean at certain times throughout the day instead of free feeding?

Pekins are known for leg issues. I'd get some liquid complex b from tsc or a local farm supply. It will say injectable, but you give them 1mL per day. Just put it on her favorite snack.
Yes. I usually free feed but withheld it to test things out. She’s back on free feed since I fear she doesn’t have the energy to move around. I’ll try and get Liquid Complex B tomorrow and update you. I’m also gonna try and give her a hot bath inside tomorrow since it’s been getting cold outside.

Yes. I usually free feed but withheld it to test things out. She’s back on free feed since I fear she doesn’t have the energy to move around. I’ll try and get Liquid Complex B tomorrow and update you. I’m also gonna try and give her a hot bath inside tomorrow since it’s been getting cold outside.
It will take weeks to turn anything around. The b complex is good for energy as well, so hopefully it will perk her up.

I'm going to tag a few others see if they have any advice.
@Quatie
@HollowOfWisps
@Miss Lydia

I agree with @Crazy Maizie worth getting her on the b complex. Keep her from overdoing and away from the drakes if they are still hormonal.
Might be a good idea to pen up the 2 females just so this one can rest and recoup and having her BF with her will help keep her spirits up.
Make sure it's a nice warm bath, not a hot one. And that she is dry before putting back outside if it is cold out.

Back
Top Bottom