Duck injured by owl need help

Oh, that’s big, I think! Like one of his air sacs was punctured? Was he examined by a vet when he was x-rayed? If not, can you look over every inch as suggested by @casportpony?
he was examined by a vet but the bird vet wasn’t working when we went. i tried to check him out but it is hard to check every inch i tried spreading his feathers as much as i could and i could barely see his skin. i will try again though. the breathing right now isn’t the biggest problem he breathes a lot better than the accident. the main problem is mostly because he cant walk or stand. i will do all i can to get him back to health i just dont want to keep nursing him if he is suffering too much but im pretty new to ducks. the one that is injured has 2 other friends outside that i got a year ago. let me know any suggestions for the standing, anything i can keep him comfortable in. for sleep and when im at school i have him in a bin with a lot of straw so it can act like a pillow. let me know any suggestions or anyone you know that has had this problem before thanks😃

he was examined by a vet but the bird vet wasn’t working when we went. i tried to check him out but it is hard to check every inch i tried spreading his feathers as much as i could and i could barely see his skin. i will try again though. the breathing right now isn’t the biggest problem he breathes a lot better than the accident. the main problem is mostly because he cant walk or stand. i will do all i can to get him back to health i just dont want to keep nursing him if he is suffering too much but im pretty new to ducks. the one that is injured has 2 other friends outside that i got a year ago. let me know any suggestions for the standing, anything i can keep him comfortable in. for sleep and when im at school i have him in a bin with a lot of straw so it can act like a pillow. let me know any suggestions or anyone you know that has had this problem before thanks😃
I’m wondering if he’s injured at the hip. He clearly can paddle, but seems like he can’t bear weight. Are you familiar with chicken slings? I wouldn’t leave him in one unattended, but wonder if he might like short periods in one so he can stay upright.

266B8C62-EBB4-4D6E-9A16-FFDF0AD04A7B.jpeg

ive never seen anything like that no. that looks like a great idea i will try to make a homemade one tomorrow. or is there somewhere you buy them?

they told me one of his air pockets on his back looked deformed when we got his xray
the breathing right now isn’t the biggest problem he breathes a lot better than the accident. the main problem is mostly because he cant walk or stand. i will do all i can to get him back to health i just dont want to keep nursing him if he is suffering too much but im pretty new to ducks.
Can you clarify a bit - was the air sac damaged from the attack or does the vet think it was deformed from the start?
Does he have bruising on his back close to where the air sac was damaged/deformed?
I understand his breathing is better, but is he still having trouble breathing too?

If the back was injured (whether air sac or not) I'm talking about along the spine, then not being able to walk or stand could be from nerve damage - could be it will just take time to recover from or sometimes damage is too great that's not possible.

Checking the ears is a very good idea too - infection can definitely affect the balance.

Back
Top Bottom