Duck injured by owl need help

sforsythe10

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2020
About 4 nights i heard one of my ducks quacking really loud so i went up and one of them were pinned in the corner by an owl. I quickly ran out and scared the owl away and saw that my duck wasn’t acting right at all. He couldn’t stand up right and just seemed all around unbalanced. Ive been caring for him for 4 days now and he has improved because it seems like his energy levels and balance have gotten a little better. I kept him in my room in the basement mainly with the light dimmed most of the time. I just put him in the garage because i have to start going back to school and don’t want him pooping all over my room. Ive given him some baths and tried to help his walking and even when he takes a bath he seems unbalanced also. He tries to peck his belly in the bath but falls forward and usually hits the wall. He seems energetic in the bath just cant balance that well. When hes in our garage, in a bed that i set up for him, he keeps wanting to stand but right when he gets up he falls sideways or backwards and looks like hes drunk. He eats and drinks pretty well (i have to hand feed him). Im going to stay on what ive been doing to care for him which seems like hes improving in small fragments but just looking for any advice or anything to give him??? Please and thanks

i will also check for wounds more closely today and by his ears. they assumed the air sac was deformed from the attack. they xray showed everything looking fine except the air sac, i was also thinking nerve damage too, and i will keep caring for him until it seems like its not going to get better. thank you all for the suggestions helps a lot😁

Attachments

• 5AF4F4DF-E87C-4FEF-B172-C659CBF30B6C.jpeg
    5AF4F4DF-E87C-4FEF-B172-C659CBF30B6C.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 7
yeah i am keeping him in a dark garage checking up on him every 10-20 min but trying to get him to relax. i have been giving him 1-2 bathes a day to get his moving and balance back. trying to keep it calm and quiet and the best condition in the garage for him to heal. thank you all so much youve been a great help let me know any more suggestions if you have any😃
he is also eating and drinking fine i just bought him his favorite... meal worms and he has been eating those and his regular duck feed as well. after feeding him anything i always wash it down with some water and he always drinks it

thank you i will try that today
i will also check for wounds more closely today and by his ears. they assumed the air sac was deformed from the attack. they xray showed everything looking fine except the air sac, i was also thinking nerve damage too, and i will keep caring for him until it seems like its not going to get better. thank you all for the suggestions helps a lot😁

All depends on how long you want to keep him in that condition?
Personally I'd of let him go. Possibly neurological at this point. Sadly we all have to decide when to stop care.
i am trying to do what is right for him. he still seems like a happy duck and is still very feisty like he has always been. hes in antibiotics for 3 more days and i was going to see how he is after that

About 4 nights i heard one of my ducks quacking really loud so i went up and one of them were pinned in the corner by an owl. I quickly ran out and scared the owl away and saw that my duck wasn’t acting right at all. He couldn’t stand up right and just seemed all around unbalanced. Ive been caring for him for 4 days now and he has improved because it seems like his energy levels and balance have gotten a little better. I kept him in my room in the basement mainly with the light dimmed most of the time. I just put him in the garage because i have to start going back to school and don’t want him pooping all over my room. Ive given him some baths and tried to help his walking and even when he takes a bath he seems unbalanced also. He tries to peck his belly in the bath but falls forward and usually hits the wall. He seems energetic in the bath just cant balance that well. When hes in our garage, in a bed that i set up for him, he keeps wanting to stand but right when he gets up he falls sideways or backwards and looks like hes drunk. He eats and drinks pretty well (i have to hand feed him). Im going to stay on what ive been doing to care for him which seems like hes improving in small fragments but just looking for any advice or anything to give him??? Please and thanks
Welcome To BYC!
I'm sorry to hear about your Duck. I don't know much about them, let's tag in a few people
@casportpony @Miss Lydia @DiYMama540
Does he have any wounds?
Can you get some photos of him or any wounds that he has or a video a of his actions which may be helpful? (for video, upload to youtube and provide a link)

Back
Top Bottom