Duck injured by owl need help

7513C789-9DD8-4DE3-924E-5A5435068C69.png

here is his breathing. it usually isnt as bad when he sits for a while but when he kicks his legs and wants to move he starts mouth breathing. i also looked by his ears to check for wounds which was difficult because he kept shaking his head for me to not touch him, but there werent any wounds that i could see

So does he just need time for the air sac to heal or we don't know if it's nerve damage? I had a hen that had a nerve injury to her leg and she could not walk for a couple months and one day she just started walking again.
the vet said the air sac looked deformed and that there was probably a small hole from the owls claw. there is potential nerve damage but we arent sure. ive been trying to keep him off of his feet as much as possible but he just kept wanting to walk. that is why the hammock for the duck works out perfect.

I think you are doing a fantastic job with your duck! He looks pretty content and not distressed by what I could see. I'm sure he must be a bit frustrated but I will bet that with time he will recover. Nerve damage takes time to heal as does the air sac issue.

Do get some of that B-complex that @Miss Lydia suggested because its just plain good for him and will help in healing. You can get it a Tractor Supply and you'll want to put 1 ml over a treat that he will eat right up. You can do it a couple of times a day. I wouldn't put it in his water though because it gets too diluted in my opinion. Better that he gets the full dose on treats. Here is what the bottle looks like and although it says "injectable" it can be given orally.

You should be very proud of youself for taking such good care of your duck!
IMG_0216.JPG

Back
Top Bottom