Duck is lethargic and stays away fron the other ducks

TerriL188

Songster
Apr 6, 2018
Holden, Missouri
My 8 year old duck is acting strange, she went out to the duck yard with the others this morning but shortly after that I noticed her walking slowly back into her hut. When I went to check on her she tried to run from me but didnt have the energy. I looked her over and did not find anything obvious, they are not laying eggs so she is not egg bound. Her weight felt good, the only thing I found is her tummy is squishy which may be how it is suppose to be I have not doctored any ducks. Can you give me some things I should look for. I have never wormed ducks mainly because I can't catch them. Any help would be appreciated. Terri

Squishy like fluid in her belly ? Or just a nice fat layer over winter? There is a symptoms called ascites where fluid accumulates in the belly can be caused but liver disease and I believe heart failure. Best to look it up and see if her symptoms match. Sorry I’d do it for you but I am on my phone and there are just some things I cannot do.

Last edited:
I had an EE that I am positive had ascites she looked like she was carrying around a water balloon and walked like a penguin. She lived till she was 5 yrs old eventually we put her down because she was showing major problems. But up until then she just pretty much acted normal other than walking odd. She still got up on the roost too. Be sure this is what your dealing with before you do anything. Even some pics may help if you can get some good ones of the size of her belly.

Back
Top Bottom