Duck leg injury, help!

Had to attach 2 videos as a zip file because no video format is accepted. Sorry.

Attachments

• IMG-0185.zip
    10.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG-0184.zip
    13 MB · Views: 3
BTW the 2 zip files I attached are of her in the tub. I'm going to try to get another one of her walking but I don't want to put anymore stress on her right now so I'm going to try tomorrow

Update on Ducky:
She is doing much better but is still having issues walking. I found out it is her left ankle bone that was the issue. It's swollen but not tender to the touch. She let's me move it around (which I'm not doing regularly so as not to mess anything up further). Is there something I should do for her leg or just continue to let it heal itself?
Thank you everyone!

Had a gosling this year with a similar injury not sure how it happened but did what I could for her. the first week was dim put her in a brooder to rest and put food and water in her reach she wasn't growing but wasn't dying ether. I fed her allot of hard boiled egg yolk with brewers yeast mixed in. I figured the leg was broke. by the 5th day I would put here in the bathroom sink with warm water and hold her to exercise the leg 4 times a day warm her back up holding the leg in the correct position for about a hour and back to the brooder. . I tried taping vet wrap at night but didn't seem to help. when swimming the leg was way out but eventually she tried to use it Over the next week we worked our way to the bathtub and deep water. I would push her back and she would swim for me till she got tired. (never leave there side) on week 2/3 she would stand and walk a little with legs not quite under her so I still held them in position after every swim. she is now 3 weeks she is 1/3 the size of her siblings but ready to move in with them today. One of the things that really helped this last 7 days is that I had a small hatch so she got to have babys in the brooder with her. Im not sure if any of this helped but when there young there legs are very forgiving and growing fast there is a good chance you can mend it. she is one one on the right the other 2 are 6-7 day old hatch lings just to give you a idea of how much growth she missed out on while mending her leg. I got her on the 28th so I guess not quite 3 weeks and walking strong it just seemed like it took longer

Attachments

• Trouble.jpg
    Trouble.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 2
Aw goslings are amazing! I have 3 myself.
I'm definitely going to give it a lot more time as well. She seems to be trying harder to do things she hasn't been able to do the past several days so that's an improvement. After her swim and once she is done preening and cleaning herself I put her in a towel and cuddle with her. Since I've been doing that she has seemed to perk up a bit too.
I also tried putting her in with newly hatched chicks but they just sort of waddled all over her so now I have her outside of their brooder but still next to them. She always seems happy when I see her. I put her outside with everyone else for a few hours every day and that also seems to help her morale. I suppose time, love and an hour or so of PT everyday should do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom