Swollen sore leg

Kelbe1

Hatching
Sep 28, 2023
I lost a duck to a rat attack a couple of weeks ago and my Aylesbury who was left behind had a bite on her hock. It was cleaned and treated but she was limping. She then got worse and won’t put any weight on the leg. She has been treated with antibiotics and pain relief and is now cleaning and eating better but she still won’t use the leg. She seems to try but it’s almost like she has no feeing in the leg.
She can move it etc and she uses it in the water but not on the ground. I have no real duck vets around me and so don’t want to waste money on someone who is not sure what they are doing!
Do I splint it or leave her to recover?
The swelling has gone down a bit and now sticky fluid is coming out

Oh no first of all I am sorry for your loss of the other duck.
and then this poor baby's leg troubles. I wonder if she needs more/other antibiotics what kind did you give her? and soaking in warm epsom salt water for 30 minutes 2-3 times a day I think would be good since it is oozing.. can you post pictures of the wound?
@Miss Lydia @HeritageFan
@ruthhope @oldhenlikesdogs

Last edited:
Very sorry for your loss.
If you can get some really good pictures of the wound for us? Have you trimmed the feathers away from the wound? makes it a lot easier to treat and keeps the feathers from getting stuck inside when healing.
I agree with @Jenbirdee she might need to be on a different antibiotic.

I also agree with the above-
- another course of antibiotics, and likely a different spectrum (what did she have before?)
- photos would be super helpful

About the “drainage”
....don’t clean the wound before grabbing a pic, then maybe one after as well.
Color? Odor? Is her leg warm where the injury is?

I don’t think the Epsom soak is a bad idea, but I’d also really like to see what you are dealing with before offering suggestions for further cleaning/ topical treatments.
The fact that she’s wanting to eat and starting to preen again is a good sign 💕

Also.... can you test her foot to see if she has feeling? Maybe hold her (belly up) in your lap and pinch the webbing to see if she has a reaction?
...I know they use a pin w people but.... I’d personally rather try the “pinch” in a few different areas (both sides of the webbing, and hallux [“back toe”] at least).

If she pulls her foot away from the pressure, there may still be some nerve issues going on, but knowing whether it is a nerve issue vs more severe nerve damage / lack of feeling, will help you decide how to proceed

So sorry for the loss of your other baby 💔 hopefully this little one is just experiencing pain still and will continue to bounce back :hugs

I also agree with the above-
- another course of antibiotics, and likely a different spectrum (what did she have before?)
- photos would be super helpful

About the “drainage”
....don’t clean the wound before grabbing a pic, then maybe one after as well.
Color? Odor? Is her leg warm where the injury is?

I don’t think the Epsom soak is a bad idea, but I’d also really like to see what you are dealing with before offering suggestions for further cleaning/ topical treatments.
The fact that she’s wanting to eat and starting to preen again is a good sign 💕

Also.... can you test her foot to see if she has feeling? Maybe hold her (belly up) in your lap and pinch the webbing to see if she has a reaction?
...I know they use a pin w people but.... I’d personally rather try the “pinch” in a few different areas (both sides of the webbing, and hallux [“back toe”] at least).

If she pulls her foot away from the pressure, there may still be some nerve issues going on, but knowing whether it is a nerve issue vs more severe nerve damage / lack of feeling, will help you decide how to proceed

So sorry for the loss of your other baby 💔 hopefully this little one is just experiencing pain still and will continue to bounce back :hugs
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom