Duck locking key (Help)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jparsons, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Jparsons

Jparsons In the Brooder

Dec 18, 2018
    Hi, we recently lost a key to our ducks shed and it was golden and we have straw in there run. We are not sure where we could have lost the key at and was wondering if ducks would be able to find it within the straw and swallow it if it happen to fell off in there run?

DiYMama540 and Tembery like this.
  2. Raenh

Raenh Free Ranging

Jul 29, 2017
    Tomball, Texas
    How small is the key? Because for my girls to swallow a key it would have to be tiny, tiny... otherwise, they would pick it up and try and toss it, see it and repeat

DiYMama540 and Tembery like this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

I have a magnet on a long handle Lowe’s has them they are great for finding metal that has accidentally been dropped.

4. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    My ducks eat frogs..my chickens are very attracted to shiny objects...if they were my ducks...I’d work hard to find the key. We have one of those magnets that @Miss Lydia mentioned..that’s a great idea...good luck hunting

DiYMama540 and Raenh like this.
  5. Ratchnick

Ratchnick Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Anchorage Alaska
    If the key was gold color i is likely brass and not magnetic. You might do better just changing out for new bedding.

Duckfarmer1, Raenh and DiYMama540 like this.
  6. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Free Ranging

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    I dont think they would swallow it on purpose, but they will definitely play with it if they find it, and possibly swallow it on accident if it's small enough.

Duckfarmer1 and Raenh like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: