ducklover1030

Hatching
Jan 22, 2022
Hello! so i got 2 ducks to raise around april of 2021. We were going strong for 9 months until my male duck, Rascal passed away from a sudden sickness. i realized as Rascal started getting sick. My female duck started picking on him more and more and nipping at him about a month before his passing. i separated them when this started happening because the female was getting a little too dominant to a point where it got concerning. i have a coop where there is a top section and a bottom section so the male ended up being on top and the female was on the bottom, so i don’t know what happened with their friendship and now that Rascal is gone idk what to do with my female one. I was told it was best to get another duck around the same age but i’m just afraid they won’t get along since my female is so dominant. but yet i’m also afraid of her getting super lonely. Advice would be appreciated thank you 🙏.

I'm sorry to hear about Rascal 😢. I think it would be best get another duck. They are flock animals and the female will get lonely by herself. Maybe try and introduce them through a fence where they can see each other first and gage your female's behaviour before you put them together. They may have pecking order to work out but I'd think they would bond eventually since ducks are so flock oriented.

I'm sorry to hear about Rascal 😢. I think it would be best get another duck. They are flock animals and the female will get lonely by herself. Maybe try and introduce them through a fence where they can see each other first and gage your female's behaviour before you put them together. They may have pecking order to work out but I'd think they would bond eventually since ducks are so flock oriented.
thank you i’ll do that 🙏 does gender matter for the new duck or can this apply to all? i’ve heard the male ducks can be easier to bond to but i wasn’t sure.

thank you i’ll do that 🙏 does gender matter for the new duck or can this apply to all? i’ve heard the male ducks can be easier to bond to but i wasn’t sure.
I haven't heard that a drake will bond easier, maybe someone who knows better could answer on that. I think either one would probably be fine and bond well with her.

Sorry for your loss of Rascal.

My suggestion is to get two more ducks -- preferably female. Integrating 2 ducks is often easier than integrating one.
I agree with this. Especially if you female is as dominant as you say, two bonded ducks will have a better time integrating. Also if anything ever happens to one, you are not back in this position again with a lonely duck.

Integration can time though. It can super smoothly and take a couple weeks or potentially take months before they fully get along. When people integrate, they use the look but no touch method. This allows them to get use to each other safely before they share an area.

Have a drake can lead to over breeding if you have only one female. It does occasionally work for some people. But you could end up needing to separate them if over breeding occurs.

I agree with this. Especially if you female is as dominant as you say, two bonded ducks will have a better time integrating. Also if anything ever happens to one, you are not back in this position again with a lonely duck.

Integration can time though. It can super smoothly and take a couple weeks or potentially take months before they fully get along. When people integrate, they use the look but no touch method. This allows them to get use to each other safely before they share an area.

Have a drake can lead to over breeding if you have only one female. It does occasionally work for some people. But you could end up needing to separate them if over breeding occurs.
x3

X4 get a couple females

Hello! so i got 2 ducks to raise around april of 2021. We were going strong for 9 months until my male duck, Rascal passed away from a sudden sickness. i realized as Rascal started getting sick. My female duck started picking on him more and more and nipping at him about a month before his passing. i separated them when this started happening because the female was getting a little too dominant to a point where it got concerning. i have a coop where there is a top section and a bottom section so the male ended up being on top and the female was on the bottom, so i don’t know what happened with their friendship and now that Rascal is gone idk what to do with my female one. I was told it was best to get another duck around the same age but i’m just afraid they won’t get along since my female is so dominant. but yet i’m also afraid of her getting super lonely. Advice would be appreciated thank you 🙏.
Hi, Im sorry about your duck. I had a similar thing happen and was left with only 1 duck, she was so sad. Now she has friends and is so much happier. If you lived close to me I have a male duck I would give you, he needs a bossy female duck in his life. lol!!

Sorry to hear about your duck! Im not sure where you're located, but I have an older male I'm going to have to re-home if I can't find another female (honestly leaning toward rehoming). I'm in Ohio though and most likely you're not. If by chance you are, let me know!

Back
Top Bottom