Duck of the Day: Rhiannon

Tevyes Dad

Leader of the Quack
8 Years
Apr 22, 2014
My wife has a "normal" 8-5 job (I am on call and have a more flexible schedule). She doesn't get to see the ducks much right now because their door opens after she leaves for work and they are back in their house before she gets home. :(

We decided to institute a "Duck of the Day" program: I bring one duck inside overnight. This provides the following benefits:

* They get a long bath... If the temps get above freezing, I try to put out a kiddie pool for the flock, but sometimes they have to go without one for quite a while.

* They get some one-on-one blanket time. We give them treats and touch them and Yvonne gets to see them. For some, this is fun time, for some it is barely tolerated. We figure they should be used to this in case they need minor treatment down the road. This also gives us a chance to look them over and check their feet.

* They get to spend the night in a huge dog crate in a warm house. None of them have objected even a little bit to this. We were expecting some flock separation anxiety, but they just lie down and sleep.

In the morning, they rejoin the flock right when the duckhouse door opens.

We don't do this every day, but figure we will get each duck twice over the winter.

Here are the promised pictures of Rhiannon: our Welsh Harlequin :love

Very organized approach! I like it!

I agree wholeheartedly that it is good to have the ducks at least somewhat used to being handled so that if you need to examine or treat, it is less traumatic. Einz always gets worked up, but not to the point that she is flailing about - she just gets nervous, so I work quickly if I need to examine her.

And I spend time in the night pen from time to time - need to do more of that - just hanging out, chatting, touching those who let me come near, letting them come near to me. Some will stand on my shoes or poke at my buttons.

Thanks All! I will get some of the other DOD (Duck of the Day) pics/flicks up. Dove was our first because she was molting and it was almost -20F out and she's just a little runner. (They have their building and a heat lamp, but she seemed to be taking the cold a little worse than the others at the time). She wasn't too happy with it, but at least she was warm for the worst night. Now she has all her new feathers and has gone from sun-bleached caramel color to her rich brown (hard to photograph) chocolate color. (Left side in my current "Charlie's Angels" avatar).

Thanks All! I will get some of the other DOD (Duck of the Day) pics/flicks up. Dove was our first because she was molting and it was almost -20F out and she's just a little runner. (They have their building and a heat lamp, but she seemed to be taking the cold a little worse than the others at the time). She wasn't too happy with it, but at least she was warm for the worst night. Now she has all her new feathers and has gone from sun-bleached caramel color to her rich brown (hard to photograph) chocolate color. (Left side in my current "Charlie's Angels" avatar).
I like that avatar .

Back
Top Bottom