Duck pen attacked, what now?

chloes-mallards

Hatching
Aug 19, 2020
Southeast Texas
I have a couple different questions, but feel free to add any input you have. I had a flock of 6 ducks, all were 6 weeks. Last night something got into their outdoor pen. Question 1: the hardware cloth was ripped out in a straight line and it wasn’t along a seam either, does anyone know what type of animal could do this? I always read that hardware cloth was predator proof. Two ducks were dead in the pen and another one was alive and well in the coop. We don’t know where the other three are, but we saw some duck foot prints on the beach, so we are keeping our hopes up. Question 2: Are there ways to find ducks that have run away? We’re not really sure wear to look but have been checking in the bushes in shrubs; should we play mallard call sounds or something?
Question 3: if we cannot find the other three, what should we do with the last duck? Are there ways to comfort him? (Stuffed animal?)

thank you

What animal depends on where you live. What state are you in?
IMO, it is unlikely a raccoon can rip hardware cloth. Bear is most likely, possibly mountain lion or a wolverine.

No, we don’t have boars. We’re in Southeast Texas, about and hour and half outside of Houston. There are some stray dogs in the area but I’ve never seen one around our property. Also no mountain lions

We had sheets of 1/4 inch hardware cloth that were about 4 x 15 feet and the hole was in the middle, not along a seam or any connection point. We attached it with a staple gun and then screwed in washers every 2 inches or so, but all of that was untouched. There was a roundish hope part but then it was pulled back along a straight line which is why I think it was a rip instead of individual bites

Well You can attempt to make a similar hole in the same sheet to get an idea of the kind of force required to make a hole like that. 1/2 inch Is quite a bit stronger but i dont think a racoon or a dog has any chance of getting through 1/4 inch.

Back
Top Bottom