Duck Pond/pool pictures

Pics

Here is a pic from today... that's Captain Nemo in front and Nibbler behind.

Nemo. It was very bright this afternoon and the glare is terrible... so is the green algae!

After the ducks went in for the night... you can see the waterfall and rock steps leading to their nap zone under the palm, which used to be covered in soft Irish and Scotch moss. Now it is covered in poop and feathers!

View from the other side... unfortunately, they ate all of Buddha's golden creeping jenny. And the 'Bowles golden' sedge that was there before it. Ugh. It is a constant battle!

Hope you enjoy the pics...

Last edited by a moderator:
OMg
Oh I'm so jelous!

we live in Northern CA and have simply NO water!

what will I do for my ducks? (just now looking for eggs for dear daughter!)

I can't dump and refill water even weekly! I buy 3500 gallons per week for $275 for our household and horses use... I can allow the duckies to have a small tub, but can't they use the water for longer? is there any use for it 'AFTER' that is safe?

can I water the garden with it? hmmmm, that might make my 'where to put the ducks' question answered... BY THE GARDEN???

OMG!! I was not aware that N. CA had such a shortage of water!! I have to empty my kiddie pond every day or two cause it gets gross and my 2 girls are so "uppity" that they won't swim if the water is dark! You would think ey live in the Hamptons or Beverly Hills, and not North Florida! Lol
I am sorry for your water problem tho! Awful! I get charged the same large amount for water, wherther I use a lot or a little. Since its just me and the critters, I am glad I am getting to use some of the water I pay so much for. (But nothing compared to you
1f625.png
)
I decided not to do the "drill a hole and put a plug in way" and got two short hoses I had already and did the syphon trick and sucked (yuck) and let gravity do the rest. Takes a bit of time, but so what...its great I don't have to shovel out water enough so I can lift and pour out gross old water now. Maybe this will help others with this idea.
Wish I had a yard and not sand and scrub oaks for fertilizing, but am definitely gonna save some of this poop water for my garden. Didn't think of that and THANKS!

I can't dump and refill water even weekly! I buy 3500 gallons per week for $275 for our household and horses use... I can allow the duckies to have a small tub, but can't they use the water for longer? is there any use for it 'AFTER' that is safe?

can I water the garden with it? hmmmm, that might make my 'where to put the ducks' question answered... BY THE GARDEN???
YES there is use for it after, it's definitely good for the garden. I have a small pump I use when I don't want to refill the entire 5' round pools (look at this link on my website):

http://thegildednesteggs.com/stories/new-pool-part-2/

I carefully move the pump (pump bottom flat on the pool bottom for best suction) around slowly on the bottom of the pool and it does a pretty good job of vacuuming up the majority of the waste - with some water of course. Then I just top it off with fresh water. I've got a hose hooked up to the pump so I can direct the waste water away from the area into a non used section of the yard if I choose. If your hose is long enough you could direct it right to your garden
big_smile.png

ETA: This will only work if the waste has settled to the bottom of the pool (which usually means first thing in the morning before I let them out)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom