Duck Poo!!

southernmademom

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 30, 2013
I have been lining the floor of my ducks pin with layers of hay and removing it weekly. Can I use that hay in my Garden?
I would like to mix it in with the soil to start my fall garden!!

You can do that, or put it in a bucket and make liquid fertilizer, use the bedding, rinsed or not, as mulch. Duck bedding is great mulch with fertilizer right in it. I find it activates my compost nicely, too.

I have been pouring out a hugh tub every other day when changing their water. I didn't even think to use it. Thanks ya'll..:p

Newbie duck owner here. My male duck lives w 6 hens. What do I need to know about his needs? Do they NEED a pool? Different food? We are trying to find a solution to mud put he is creating! Any advice in anything I should know is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
Newbie duck owner here. My male duck lives w 6 hens. What do I need to know about his needs? Do they NEED a pool? Different food? We are trying to find a solution to mud put he is creating! Any advice in anything I should know is greatly appreciated!!
welcome-byc.gif

They don't need a pond. He will do perfectly fine with a kiddie pool.

Drakes don't really need the excess calcium in layer feed so you might want to consider a "all flock" feed and supplement oyster shells.

You'll need to watch him to make sure he does not try to breed your hens. This breeding could seriously harm them or even kill them.

Do they need some sort of pool for a reason?
How will I know when he might start mating and what do I do?!!

Any suggestions on a water system? He is making a mud pit. How much room does he need in the run when kept inside?

Hope someone will be on soon to correct me or agree with me, but I go by the rule of 2.5 square feet per duck for indoor quarters. Meaning night time, inclement weather. For outdoor confinement, I go by 7 square feet per duck. That situation would be if I go out of town or have lots of activity in the yard, or if I know there are predators in the area.
Mud is inevitable and unavoidable. My opinion on the mud is to simply choose a spot where the mud won't bother you so much. You can rotate your pools and you can create systems for recycling the used water that are specific for your situation. For example, you can water a tree.you can also have sand and or pea gravel brought in to put over landscape fabric to prevent unhealthy mud bogs. :)

Last edited:
Hope someone will be on soon to correct me or agree with me, but I go by the rule of 2.5 square feet per duck for indoor quarters. Meaning night time, inclement weather. For outdoor confinement, I go by 7 square feet per duck. That situation would be if I go out of town or have lots of activity in the yard, or if I know there are predators in the area.
Mud is inevitable and unavoidable. My opinion on the mud is to simply choose a spot where the mud won't bother you so much. You can rotate your pools and you can create systems for recycling the used water that are specific for your situation. For example, you can water a tree.you can also have sand and or pea gravel brought in to put over landscape fabric to prevent unhealthy mud bogs.
smile.png
Good post HDF, only place where mud is a real problem here is where I don't have landscaping material down with river rock over top. and it's a messy muddy area, but it's where no one but me usually sees it so I will just work with it next spring putting down the LS material and rocks[which are round river rocks from Lowes]. when I say I don't have muddy areas I'm talking about where their buckets and pools are. They can make mud in other parts of the property and do so very nicely.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom