Duck with missing and injured leg

Sonjamaria

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 4, 2015
Please help!
Tonight we found a duck on the road, I think it may have been attacked by an animal. It seemed strange to find it out at night time.
It appears to have a few injuries as it couldn't fly. I checked the wings and one side appears to be missing a few feathers but I think feels pretty well intact and the other wing looks fine.
The main problem is that half the right leg from the ankle down has gone. It isn't haemorrhaging and there really is not a lot of blood. The duck is pretty quiet and may be in shock I think. I have put her in a warm dog crate with a towel and am wondering what to do next if she survives til the morning. Will the vet put her down do you think? It would break my heart but can they survive an injury like this ?
Sonja

no a vet shouldnt put her down . Alot of ducks live with just one leg but you may need to take it to the vet to be sure that the leg is disinfected properly and taken care of.

what does the duck look like ? what breed?

Last edited:
It looks very like this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_wood_duck
Good news this morning! The duck appears alive and quite observant.
I peeked under the cover of the crate and it looked straight up at me to investigate.
I will see if I can find a vet this morning or maybe a WIRES group hopefully who care for injured wildlife.

Back
Top Bottom