Duck with Partially torn toe nail...HELP!

gal5150

Songster
Mar 30, 2016
California
Noticed this afternoon that Dolly, 7 wk WH, has broken the nail on her back toe. Sorry for the cruddy pic but give you an idea of the situation

It's torn and bent inward. Now I have read if it is still attached to remove it with clippers but there is significant resistance. It's not just dangling so it is clearly still attached at the skin on the other side.

She is not limping and doesn't seemed bothered by it but I am TERRIFIED. First time duck mom here....help and encouragement would be appreciated!

As mentioned clean the wound, be sure to have it sterilized, I recommend you bandage it, keep the duck in a sterilized environment for a few days, just to be sure that the wound can scab over. Then if you would like to put the duck back out you can but be sure that the wound is not being pecked at.

Thank you all for your quick replies! So are we in agreement to leave it as is, position wise, let it heal that way while cleaning and keeping an eye out for infection? I'm really not interested in removing it as when I tried to move it back to its proper station it would not move AT ALL. I'm wondering if it didn't happen sometime last night and has already healed a bit that way.

Back
Top Bottom