Duckings and chicks to cold?

ohiofarmboy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 28, 2012
south west ohio
Today we moved our 4 ducklings and 8 chicks from the brooder to coop. They really enjoyed the extra space! It is going to snow tonight and will get down to about 29*. I noticed that this evening the were a huddled in a tight circle under the heat lamp. So adorable! I was wondering if they're to cold? This is my first time raising ducklings and chicks. The lamp is 1 1/2 feet off the ground so is that to high? Or do I just need another lamp? Or are they not even cold? The coop is sill inside the barn we built it in so wind isn't a problem at all. Any thoughts?

It could be too high depending on the temp in the room, IMO. Since cold air sinks.. I kept a thermometer at ground level with my little ones until I felt like they "had it" as far as self-regulating.

Edit: just saw you say this is in a barn.. I'll bet they may be a bit chilly, though as jdywntr pointed out age would factor in too. And to clarify, when I had my thermometer in with mine I think I kept the temp around high 90's, raising/lowering the bulb until I got it about right, and of course they could go to the other end of the box too if they were hot. I will say, they always seemed to be very close to one another regardless of their proximity to the light.

Last edited:
They are two weeks. I don't have a thermometer in there. I guess it wouldn't hurt to lower it. Like you said they would move away if they were to hot.

Last edited:
I would say it definitely won't hurt. They can always move away. They can't bring the heat any closer than you allow. :) Gosh, my bulb was probably only about 8 inches or so in the beginning. High enough where they couldn't mess with it but low enough to give nice heat. Mine wasn't a "heat" lamp bulb though, just a 120watt.

Just adjust it and then watch them. If they're huddling under it you could lower it if you think it needs. If they're crowding at the dark end of the box you could raise it. Mine spent a good bit of time around the middle or sometimes closer to the bright end, so I figured I was okay.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom