Duckling age for first swim?

Jaydizzle91

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
How old do ducklings have to be before you can introduce them to water a couple of inches deep? Like in a tub? My duckling on purposely splashes its feet in his drinking water and hes only 3 days old! I know it probably wont be for a while yet... Help?

You can let them try swimming in a shallow tub or pan. Make sure you keep an eye on them and don't let them swim for too long. When they're done pat them dry with a towel and put them straight back in the brooder under the heat so they don't catch a chill.

Any age really... I wouldn't let them swim on day one or two since they're probably still tired from hatching. But once they're up and moving around and eating and drinking it'd be ok.

Ditto. After they're up and going, you can let them swim. Its not really a matter of how old before they can swim, but the amount of time they can swim. They can get chilled or drown if left too long (and yes, they can drown even in a little water).
I would put just enough water in my bath tub for my goslings to float, but still be able to put their feet down (if that makes any sense).
If you use the tub, be sure to close the curtain, they love to splash-splash in the water!!!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom