duckling feed - can I give them game bird feed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by backboneacres, Feb 19, 2015.

1. backboneacres

backboneacres New Egg

Feb 5, 2015
    In a moment of cloudy headedness... I purchased organic game bird feed for the ducklings I ordered (not yet received the birds). I'm wondering if I can give them this or if I should use it for my 9 week old chicks and go buy the ducklings non-medicated chicken starter? This is 26% protein.
    Thanks for the help!

This is what I bought...
    http://www.ranch-way.com/products/organic-feed/easy-feed-organic-turkey-grower

2. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    DO NOT FEED MEDICATED CHICK FEED!
    I have raised TONS of ducks and did clear research and saw this with my own two eyes.
    This feed in particular is a killer to ducks.Ducks for some reason cannot have Antibiotics,or medicated chick feed.Regular feed would work just fine,and so will the feed yoy have suggested.

3. backboneacres

backboneacres New Egg

Feb 5, 2015
    I wouldn't give them medicated feed, I've read lots of warnings about that .. I don't give my chicks medicated either (that's part of the reason I've been raising my own!!) but I appreciate the warning!

I was mostly concerned about the super high protein content (26%) possibly harming the ducks??? The books/articles I've read have been recommending 20-22%.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by