Duckling in trouble?

I have one upside down and he has pipped a place and the membranes turning black. I can hear him chirping and see movement in air sac. Could he have turned back over I wander and why is membrane black?

Can you post a pic?
Does it look like a bruise on the shell? That sometimes happens when they try to pip and some fluid leaks around the area.

Can you post a pic?
Does it look like a bruise on the shell? That sometimes happens when they try to pip and some fluid leaks around the area.

Attachments

• 20190325_221811.jpg
    20190325_221811.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 6
I noticed the darker splotches on "Flips'" egg when he was real close to needing help getting out. The membrane was drying and pulling away from the shell. I found the color of the membrane was a great indicator of its dryness/toughness - white first, changing to tan, then brown and then nearly black. The darker the color, the tougher the membrane and I know there was no way our little guy was going to be able to tear the membrane past the dark brown point. He also was visible in his proper air sac for a period (about 24 hours after we noticed the external pip), and we could hear him cheeping, but ultimately he still went back to the original pip hole.

The coconut oil was extremely helpful not only in seeing if there are still blood vessels, but also in helping the shell come free when we had to assist. Allowing enough time for the re-absorption is critical and we struggled to be patient and not just jump in and start removing shell, but I will defer to the experts on here as to when to step in. Sending best wishes for you and your little one!

I noticed the darker splotches on "Flips'" egg when he was real close to needing help getting out. The membrane was drying and pulling away from the shell. I found the color of the membrane was a great indicator of its dryness/toughness - white first, changing to tan, then brown and then nearly black. The darker the color, the tougher the membrane and I know there was no way our little guy was going to be able to tear the membrane past the dark brown point. He also was visible in his proper air sac for a period (about 24 hours after we noticed the external pip), and we could hear him cheeping, but ultimately he still went back to the original pip hole.

The coconut oil was extremely helpful not only in seeing if there are still blood vessels, but also in helping the shell come free when we had to assist. Allowing enough time for the re-absorption is critical and we struggled to be patient and not just jump in and start removing shell, but I will defer to the experts on here as to when to step in. Sending best wishes for you and your little one!
1zt

1st time ! Thanks so much. I can hear him as if he is out of his shell this morning. His little bill is sticking out the (wrong) end at that hole with the dark around it. And his air sac is gone so I guess his whole body has filled the egg.

1st time ! Thanks so much. I can hear him as if he is out of his shell this morning. His little bill is sticking out the (wrong) end at that hole with the dark around it. And his air sac is gone so I guess his whole body has filled the egg.
Any update on your little one?

I got him out after a 15 hours and he did ok. One foot turned completely inward . Passed the next morning

Back
Top Bottom