Duckling of 2 weeks can't stand properly? - New duckling mom

SamDuck24

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2017
We rescued baby pippin the Pekin 2 weeks ago. Had a very rough start to life. He's doing so much better though. Had a slight niacin deficiency where he couldn't walk for three days but I gave immediate supplementation of niacin, riboflavin and all sorts as soon as I noticed a problem. He eats duckling mash and chick feed with mashed up floating duck pellets. Poop is normal and swims just fine. Runs after me just fine but he takes breaks in between his sprints.

My concern is how he walks and stands. He falls over into his food face first because of lack of balance and appears to be walking on the tip of his feet? He doesn't seem to be in pain. Is this normal? How should I expect a duckling of 2 weeks old to stand and walk? Will this change over time? Will here okay? Advice would be appreciated :'(

Hello! I have some questions.. How often does Pippin normally run after you? Does he do this at a sprint, or do you walk slow enough that he can easily catch up to you by walking? Is he the only duck you have? Does he normally walk on floors, or carpets - pls describe.
Sorry for the bombardment of questions, lol, but I'm trying to help... I'm not very experienced, but I'll do my best to help you and little Pippin. I may have an idea what is wrong, but I may be wrong...
Can u post a picture or video of Pippin walking?

Thank you for the reply! Pippin walks after me in the garden on soft grass. I walk slow enough for him to waddle along but seems to sprint mostly. I'll walk and he'll stop so I walk again in hope he follows but he waits a bit and then sprints. So he's either on grass or on tiles while in the kitchen but that isn't for long

He swims just fine though. Happy swimmer in a half full bath so there is tons of leg room. I'll try get a video or photo tomorrow. He's the only one that survived of his siblings so he's all I got.

Essentially I've noticed his toes point upwards instead of being flat. I'm taking him to a special birdy vet tomorrow to see what's wrong. Poor thing got a serious rough start to life. Was found between two pipes in the freezing cold :( so I've really been trying my best

Thank you for the reply! Pippin walks after me in the garden on soft grass. I walk slow enough for him to waddle along but seems to sprint mostly. I'll walk and he'll stop so I walk again in hope he follows but he waits a bit and then sprints. So he's either on grass or on tiles while in the kitchen but that isn't for long

He swims just fine though. Happy swimmer in a half full bath so there is tons of leg room. I'll try get a video or photo tomorrow. He's the only one that survived of his siblings so he's all I got.

Essentially I've noticed his toes point upwards instead of being flat. I'm taking him to a special birdy vet tomorrow to see what's wrong. Poor thing got a serious rough start to life. Was found between two pipes in the freezing cold
sad.png
so I've really been trying my best
I am glad your taking Pippin to the vet. Please update after and let us know what the vet says.

@SamDuck24

@SamDuck24 this info maybe of use to you.

Chick Shoes for Twisted or Curled Toes

• CAUTION: A chick wearing Chick Shoes can easily drown if it stumbles near a water container. See "Prevent Drowning in Water Dish"section.
  • Use for splinting and correcting Twisted Toes, or sometimes to help with Curled Toes. (With Twisted Toes, an adult or chick walks on sides of twisted toes. With Curled Toes, a chick walks on tops of curled toes.)
  • Cut out a small, flat triangle a little larger than the size that the chick's foot should be when toes are spread. Position each toe correctly and then use a small piece of sports tape to tape the toe to the cardboard.
  • A different type of chick shoe splint can be made from pipe cleaners (or flower arranging wire and thin padding, for older chickens).
  • If treating young chick: Important to put on new shoe at least every 1-3 days while feet growing fast.The chick will likely need to wear the shoes a total of 4 days to 2 weeks, depending on the severity of the problem
    • Make sure shoe size increased regularly so foot doesn't outgrow shoe. Toe Taping (See below) may be better for treating some problems.
    • Notice and correct sooner if chick wiggles toe into wrong position, before deformities are caused.
  • If treating older bird: You may want to treat moderately twisted toes if causing problems. Do not try to correct long-term, severely twisted toes. Bones, muscles & ligaments are mature & may not be able to be reshaped, or will change more slowly.
    • Aim for gradual reshaping.
    • Check regularly that there isn't too much debris sticking to shoe, & that toes haven't slipped loose.
    • Change the shoe at least every 4-7 days.The bird may need to wear the shoes and/or have its toes taped (See below) for 2-5 weeks.
  • *Be extra sure to follow Special Note on Removing Tape from Legs, Feet & Toes instructions.
Toe Taping

• Can be done on any age chicken to help fix individual Broken or Deformed Toes or improperly rotated back toe ("Duck Foot").
  • Sports tape works well.
  • When repositioning toes, make gradual changes. Be careful that tension from tape doesn't cause excessive pain or damage skin.
  • Change tape regularly to monitor for infection and chafing, and so that tape does not inhibit healthy growth or restrict circulation.
    • At least every other day for young chicks.
    • Every 4-5 days for older chickens.
  • *Be extra sure to follow Special Note on Removing Tape from Legs, Feet & Toes instructions.

Ok so I took Pippin to the vet and they explained that I was over nourishing. Essentially that he was growing too fast for his ligaments to catch up which was causing the weird walking. Vet suggested I let him walk around on flat surfaces for a while and cut back on the amount of niacin and stuff. Also, I left the vet with another duck. A small little mallard xD

Ok so I took Pippin to the vet and they explained that I was over nourishing. Essentially that he was growing too fast for his ligaments to catch up which was causing the weird walking. Vet suggested I let him walk around on flat surfaces for a while and cut back on the amount of niacin and stuff. Also, I left the vet with another duck. A small little mallard xD
How nice now Pippin has a friend

I hope the vet is right about the niacin, Make sure what ever he walks on flat he has good traction. Pics when you get time we'd love to see them

Back
Top Bottom