Duckling with big leg gap?

BlueHorse17

Free Ranging
8 Years
Mar 20, 2015
USA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone! Someone came to me letting me know they have a duckling who has a wide leg gap, often sits down, and trips a lot when it walks. It was born a little different; even had a wide leg gap when born. They are currently feeding it flock raiser, along with zucchini and sometimes cat food. I told them I would ask around and see what advice I could get for them. Here is a photo.

335AD6D1-273A-4C8B-8188-6DDF6FA95B68.jpeg

I don't think it needs cat food with flock raiser. It just looks like a really big duckling. But, I wouldn't even know if it was bigger than its hatch mates without a pic of them together. How old is it? What breed? Is it a mix?
With muscovies, the boys have a wider stance, big floppy feet, and sit down a lot when growing.
I would suggest to cut out the cat food for now. Add some extra niacin to this big duckling's diet. 😁

I don't think it needs cat food with flock raiser. It just looks like a really big duckling. But, I wouldn't even know if it was bigger than its hatch mates without a pic of them together. How old is it? What breed? Is it a mix?
With muscovies, the boys have a wider stance, big floppy feet, and sit down a lot when growing.
I would suggest to cut out the cat food for now. Add some extra niacin to this big duckling's diet. 😁
It was born looking a little pudgy with short legs. It is a Golden Cascade about a month old. It’s siblings are almost twice it’s size.

Can you get a photo of the baby facing you? That will give us an idea of how far apart his legs are. Could be straddle leg, but thats usually most successful when treating in the first few days of life.
These were the only other pics I was able to get from the owner.
6297A1FE-48D2-4482-9C6C-675EE6F13C90.jpeg
88DE3B71-8CD6-4DD0-8CAB-A5740E1EDD7B.jpeg

It was born looking a little pudgy with short legs. It is a Golden Cascade about a month old. It’s siblings are almost twice it’s size.
It does look quite stocky compared to other GC pics that I just looked at and its baby wings are disproportionate to its body. Obviously some sort of genetic defect.
When you say twice the size, you mean bigger right?

These were the only other pics I was able to get from the owner.View attachment 2784774View attachment 2784775
That doesn't' look to concerning. I think its alright.
Any ideas why his siblings are so much bigger?
Ps. That ground looks really heard and rocky. Rocky ground will cause re-occurign bumble foot in heavy breeds, and isn't good for their feet. It would be best to cover that ground with hard wood, or fine screened mulch to make it softer. Unless the owner would rather deal with repeated bumble foot treatments. I feel her pain.

Back
Top Bottom