May I ask how your duck turned out? If positive, can you share with me what you did?

I just had the same issue and I don’t know what’s best for the duck. Lively, eating, drinking … feet look identical to your situation and she came out the wrong side of the egg, basically on her own. I just had to chip a couple pieces of shell away, but she clearly wanted out and I didn’t touch the membrane - she pushed through on her own.

I have another duck this happened to, but it was only one foot and she has adapted and hangs with the flock like all the rest! I physically have to look for her foot to find her sometimes. This is why I don’t want to give up on this one …

Last edited:
@DucklingMama3 if it's toes are curled here is one way to help straighten them.
Ideas
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-with-tape-picture-tutorial-and-video.75247/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-with-curled-toes.51112/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-with-turned-in-and-curled-feet.983116/page-2

@Jenbirdee is working with a little gosling right now hopefully she'll see this tag and show what she has done. Meanwhile, if you'll post pictures.
Thank you. I have her all taped up with “shoes” like the ones in your first link and bandaids acting to keep her legs together (like for spay leg) I ordered bands … but they won’t come quick enough. I’ll send pictures soon, but the pictures from this original post are spot on to my situation. Is this congenital or an incubation issue? I was here last year with an issue with one leg … that duck is doing fantastic even with her deformed foot! Everyone is so helpful!

Unfortunately, this little one is both feet and has a cut on her beak. I’ve been giving her poultry cell in her water and added some yeast to food. Using bacitracin for her beak to keep issues away. She’s quite spunky though!

Sounds like your doing a great job. Keep us posted on how the little one is doing.

Are these eggs from your ducks or did you buy them off someone?
They are my ducks. The adults were purchased as ducklings. I’ve collected eggs last year and now this year. No deformities in the others, now 2 ducks with them that hatched here.

Even bandaged, she keeps trying to keep her legs back. Has anyone ever wrapped the duck periodically to keep the legs under where they belong? I have her feet taped to plastic to straighten the toes/webs and a bandaid keeping the legs from going sideways. Sorry, no picture of that. Should I worry about her keeping them pointed backward? She can sit ok with her legs under her. Beak is healing well.

Also including a picture of my duck from last year with the deformed foot … she was in our driveway the other day and I got a good picture of her. She’s here and living a normal life because of your advice and support last spring!

Attachments

• IMG_9351.jpeg
    IMG_9351.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9354.jpeg
    IMG_9354.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9352.jpeg
    IMG_9352.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9016.jpeg
    IMG_9016.jpeg