Ducks and Amoxicillin dosage

Pics

Loriemarie

Hatching
Jul 25, 2017
Hello. I was wondering what the dosage of amoxicillin is for a large c, pekin duck with a bad case of bumble foot. Ive tried everything else to heal him , but its time for antibiotics!thsnk you, Loriemarie

Hello. I was wondering what the dosage of amoxicillin is for a large c, pekin duck with a bad case of bumble foot. Ive tried everything else to heal him , but its time for antibiotics!thsnk you, Loriemarie
Welcome to BYC! Sorry your duck has bumblefoot . :hugs
Bad news is that antibiotics alone will not treat it if he has a pus plug. Pus plugs need to be removed.

How much does he weigh? Amoxicillin dose is ~57 mg per pound orally twice a day for 7-10 days, maybe even 14 days.

Bad news is that antibiotics alone will not treat it if he has a pus plug. Pus plugs need to be removed.

How much does he weigh? Amoxicillin dose is ~57 mg per pound orally twice a day for 7-10 days, maybe even 14 days.
I don't know much about amoxicillin, but that sounds a little high to me. I have a Pekin drake that has bumble foot and I'm trying to figure out the correct dosage for amoxicillin to use as an antibiotic after I remove the pus. He weighs about 10 pounds, so does 570 mg twice a day sound right? I have the 250 mg capsules.

This is what I read: http://www.metzerfarms.com/Bumblefoot.cfm

250 mg (half a pill twice a day). Buuut they are capsules... So I'm wondering how I'm going to do that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This is what I read: http://www.metzerfarms.com/Bumblefoot.cfm

250 mg (half a pill twice a day).
Their site says this:
Different types of antibiotic have been used to cure the problem: one pill (22.7mg) per day of Baytril, 50-100 mg of clindamycin, doxycycline, lincomycen or doxycycline per day, or 250 mg of amoxicillin per day. Of course it is best to consult with a veterinarian first.
All of those drugs must be given based on the weight of a bird, but it doesn't mention that. Remember when your vet gave you antibiotics for your duck? That dose was based on the wight of your duck. If your duck had weighed twice what he did his dose would have been higher.

The 57 mg per pound dose I mentioned is based off of two things, one is it's the amount my vets told me to use and the second is that it's the dose listed in all of my veterinary books. :)

Their site says this:

All of those drugs must be given based on the weight of a bird, but it doesn't mention that. Remember when your vet gave you antibiotics for your duck? That dose was based on the wight of your duck. If your duck had weighed twice what he did his dose would have been higher.

The 57 mg dose I mentioned is based off of two things, one is it's the amount my vets told me to use and the second is that it's the dose listed in all of my veterinary books. :)
Alrighty, then. I'll do that. Thanks for the response, Kathy. :)

I do have one more question: If a bird is underweight, do you go based on that weight or their original weight?

I don't know much about amoxicillin, but that sounds a little high to me. I have a Pekin drake that has bumble foot and I'm trying to figure out the correct dosage for amoxicillin to use as an antibiotic after I remove the pus. He weighs about 10 pounds, so does 570 mg twice a day sound right? I have the 250 mg capsules.
Can you get a more accurate weight on him? If he really does weigh 10 pounds then his dose would be 570 mg twice a day, which is about 2 & 1/3 capsules.

Back
Top Bottom