Ducks and bathtime?

pogo0685

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
I just got my ducks yesterday - I got them from a local guy who raises poultry, and while the guy was super nice and very helpful, my ducks were VERY dirty when I got them, the brooder box they were in was caked in poop, had no light, I didnt see any water or food and for 5 ducks and a goose it was a very small box, probably 1' x 1'. Ok now on to my question, when I got them home they were really crusty feeling, and not soft at all, when I put their water in the brooder box with them they started cleaning their feathers and stuff so I think they need a bath, my DH says they need a bath also but the guy we got them from said no baths or water until they have their adult feathers in. But I have seen pictures on here of ducks much younger and smaller than mine in the bath so assuming that its safe to put them in the bath what temp should the water be? I think I read something about blow drying them when they are done in the tub so I planned on doing that, anything else I need to do? Thanks for all your help.

Oh I wanted to ad that the guy said my ducks were 3 or 4 weeks old and I also took the goose because he told me it would die without the ducks so we have 5 ducks and 1 goose. I cant post pictures because I am not to 10 posts yet (but im working on that). But I do have them on my blog, but I dont think I can link to it here, im new and don't want to make the moderators angry by messing up on my first day!

There is no reason why you cannot let the ducklings play in the water(as long as you watch them) they will not be water proof until they get their adults feathers, so you do not want to leave them alone with any water above their ankles as they can drown, but there is nothing wrong with supervised swim time, they will love you for it. The water temp should be cool to luke warm, not hot or cold. I would not suggest blow drying as it will send them into mass panic, just put them somewhere warm, like a good brooder with a good heat lamp and they will do a good job of drying themselves(they are ducks, this comes natural). The guy sounds nice but a little ignorant about waterfowl(not trying to be mean or snarky, that was just my impression)
idunno.gif

I agree with duckchick2011. I let my ducklings play in about an inch or two of water from day one. I increased the water level a little every few days and once they could could float a little they went crazy diving and splashing water all over. They were about 3 weeks. They are now 5 weeks and totally fine swimming in the tub for and hour or two. As far as drying them off I just wrapped them in a towel for a bit then placed them under a warming light. Below are some pictures of the ducks with some children in my classroom who quickly found out that they were seated in the "splash zone".
big_smile.png

81690_dscf9857.jpg

81690_dscf9859.jpg

81690_dscf9860.jpg

81690_dscf9861.jpg

Back
Top Bottom