Ducks!! Mallard/rouen male/female help?!

Redhead_Gardener

Chirping
May 21, 2021
Right, so 2 and a half months ago I'd not planned on any ducks.. but due to shipping issues with chicks I'd had... only 1 chick survived. In an attempt to keep her company (until a reshipment of chicks could happen) off to tractor supply I went last minute... and came home with 2 chicks and 2 ducklings for company.

There was no label as to wot breed the ducklings were and they were the last two.

I know they are either mallard or Rouen.
Suppose it doesn't make a difference except to my curiosity to find out which.

And to figure wot sex they are.
In the beginning I thought perhaps one of each. But their traits were muddled.
The one with a darker bill is more skittish and fussy (Zoom).. is larger than the one with the more yellow bill, easy going and smaller (Dash.)

Now the one with the darker bill is beginning to lighten, and the smaller one is catching up to the bigger in size. So I don't even have a guess any more as to wot sex either might be.
I'd love to hear everyone and anyone's take on what breed and sex my babies are. I'll include a younger photo and photos from today.

Thank you in advance.

Oh side note... anyone else's ducks total begonia snobs??? Seems to be a delicacy the way mine love and eat and ate my begonias... and borage...🤦‍♀️😂

Attachments

• IMG_20210404_192707.jpg
    IMG_20210404_192707.jpg
    765.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210522_171449.jpg
    20210522_171449.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210522_181728.jpg
    20210522_181728.jpg
    892 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210522_171607.jpg
    20210522_171607.jpg
    731.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210522_171450.jpg
    20210522_171450.jpg
    750.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Right, so 2 and a half months ago I'd not planned on any ducks.. but due to shipping issues with chicks I'd had... only 1 chick survived. In an attempt to keep her company (until a reshipment of chicks could happen) off to tractor supply I went last minute... and came home with 2 chicks and 2 ducklings for company.

There was no label as to wot breed the ducklings were and they were the last two.

The one with a darker bill is more skittish and fussy (Zoom).. is larger than the one with the more yellow bill, easy going and smaller (Dash.)

Now the one with the darker bill is beginning to lighten, and the smaller one is catching up to the bigger in size. So I don't even have a guess any more as to wot sex either might be.
I'd love to hear everyone and anyone's take on what breed and sex my babies are. I'll include a younger photo and photos from today.

Thank you in advance.

Oh side note... anyone else's ducks total begonia snobs??? Seems to be a delicacy the way mine love and eat and ate my begonias... and borage...🤦‍♀️😂
They definitely look like rouens. I have both rouens and mallards, and it’s very difficult to tell the difference, but recently I hatched eggs from both my ducks, so it’s easier. But definitely look like rouens and you can determine male or female by they’re quack! Males sound raspy and females actually quack.

Thank you in advance.

Definitely look like rouens. I have both rouens and mallards, and these look just like my rouens. They also look more like females, but that could just be their juvenile plumage. You can tell the difference between male and female by their quack, males sound raspy and females are loud and actually quack. Hope this helps!

They definitely look like rouens. I have both rouens and mallards, and it’s very difficult to tell the difference, but recently I hatched eggs from both my ducks, so it’s easier. But definitely look like rouens and you can determine male or female by they’re quack! Males sound raspy and females actually quack.
Hmmm.... I'll pay more attention to their quack. They mostly mumble as I call it. Just little noises, not full quacks. Unless I'm not around and they are looking for me. They've out grown their whistle , calling for me. So when they do quack...(duck for, "mum! Where are you?") I'm not around to see it. 🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• 20210530_104708.jpg
    20210530_104708.jpg
    758.2 KB · Views: 30
Hmmm.... I'll pay more attention to their quack. They mostly mumble as I call it. Just little noises, not full quacks. Unless I'm not around and they are looking for me. They've out grown their whistle , calling for me. So when they do quack...(duck for, "mum! Where are you?") I'm not around to see it. 🤷‍♀️
Could you post a video of their voice? (To post a video, upload it to Youtube, Vimeo, or other similar video platforms and then copy/paste the link here.)

Back
Top Bottom