Ducks suddenly scared of me

reph

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2022
I've been hand raising two ducks for 3 months since they've hatched. They used to be very attached to me and follow me around the yard. They'd even cry if I leave them to back inside the house. Today has been like any kind of day- I let them out of the yard this morning to play with their kiddie pool then put them back to their enclosure after 30 minutes. Sometimes I would leave them out in the backyard and they'll go knock through the glass door whenever they're done.

This afternoon I went to check back on them and they run away from me. Even after trying to hand them some watermelons as treats, they still wouldn't come close to me. I let them out to play with their kiddie pool and they acted kind of normal but whenever I approach them, they leave.

The only thing I did different today was to hand feed them a leaf from a red noodle bean plant. They typically eat broccoli leaves but since my broccolis don't have any more leaves to offer I tried giving them a different plant. I guess that could be a culprit? I just don't know how my ducks behave so different today

Are you sure the leaf isn't poisonous? I know that isn't what made them change their behavior towards you but I've never heard of this plant before.
Ducklings go through phases, they are in love with their human when they hatch and for weeks after but then all of a sudden we become the axe murderer. It's very natural for them to go through this stage so just try and be patient with them. They may not ever be like they were before but if you'll just wait this out they will eat out of your hand again.
keep spending time with them.
:welcome

Ducks are truly difficult to understand. Any little change makes them scared for a few weeks. It could be different clothes or shoes. Mine were very friendly when I had them in a tote at counter height. When we moved them to the floor, they were so terrified, they would trample each other trying to get away from me. When we moved them to their pen in the barn, they got scared again. Finally they stayed friendly. Last week I gave them a different pool to swim in and it took days for them to swim in it. They were sure it was a monster! LOL

Feeding different things scares them too. My ducklings grew up before melons were ripe. Everyone said ducks love watermelon. Mine were afraid of it for a week. Now they go crazy for it!

Are you sure the leaf isn't poisonous? I know that isn't what made them change their behavior towards you but I've never heard of this plant before.
Ducklings go through phases, they are in love with their human when they hatch and for weeks after but then all of a sudden we become the axe murderer. It's very natural for them to go through this stage so just try and be patient with them. They may not ever be like they were before but if you'll just wait this out they will eat out of your hand again.
keep spending time with them.
:welcome
I've seen them nibble on the plant a few times so I thought to give them a leaf from that plant this morning. I'll stick with normal weeds I typically hand feed them starting tomorrow.

Ducks are truly difficult to understand. Any little change makes them scared for a few weeks. It could be different clothes or shoes. Mine were very friendly when I had them in a tote at counter height. When we moved them to the floor, they were so terrified, they would trample each other trying to get away from me. When we moved them to their pen in the barn, they got scared again. Finally they stayed friendly. Last week I gave them a different pool to swim in and it took days for them to swim in it. They were sure it was a monster! LOL

Feeding different things scares them too. My ducklings grew up before melons were ripe. Everyone said ducks love watermelon. Mine were afraid of it for a week. Now they go crazy for it!
Haha that's funny :lau. Thank you that made me feel better! I suppose since they're also molting, that might have contributed to their sudden change of behavior as well.

Back
Top Bottom