Ducks won’t sleep in their house

The Golden Girl

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 25, 2015
Hi everyone!
We rescued a pair of pekin ducklings last summer: Goose and Maverick. They live inside a large, fully enclosed run with our 11 chickens. We gave them a lovely coop to sleep in (easily accessible) and they seemed to use it for a little bit. After a while, they were sleeping underneath the chicken coop, which is enclosed with wood panels on the outside, so that was fine. But lately, they seem to just be sleeping outside in the run. It rarely gets below freezing as we are in the San Francisco Bay area, but I worry about predators being able to see them through the hardware cloth. I’m not able to put them in a coop and lock them up at night and let them out in the morning. How do I get them to sleep in their house? Or should I just give up on that?! LOL

As Maverick turned out to be a drake, we are bringing home another pair of females today to keep him… ahem, occupied. I would like to teach all four of them to sleep in the coop at night. Any suggestions? TIA

Attachments

• 0DBE7BCB-B88F-41BA-9822-F90F237515EB.jpeg
    0DBE7BCB-B88F-41BA-9822-F90F237515EB.jpeg
    696.1 KB · Views: 33
Walking slowly behind them into the coop is a good way to teach them .I used this way when my ducks were young and they have no problem going in on their own now for me to close them up for the night.

Are you disabled the reason your not able to put them in the coop? is there anyone else there that could help? when herding I used 2 bamboo poles to extend my arms and guide mine. Broom handles etc will work.

Thank you all so much for your replies!

So yes, they are in a fully enclosed, predator proof run. It has a steel roof, 1/4” hardware cloth, and wire buried all around. Our entire yard is surrounded by a 6 foot fence. In 11 years, we haven’t lost a single bird to a predator. I guess I am just a paranoid bird mama!

Perhaps I will lock them up at night for a while and see if they will learn to go into the house on their own. I guess they’d go in if they were cold.

To answer Miss Lydia’s question: yes - I suppose you could say I’m disabled. I have severe chronic health issues and I’m only operating on about 50% of my previous capacity. Still trying to give my family the care they all need but I’ve gotta choose my battles wisely!

And thank you for the advice on integrating them. We picked up a pair of Silver Appleyards from a hoarding situation nearby yesterday. The owner is being forced to get rid of all of her birds. Sad situation. So many ducks and geese just packed into filthy spaces. They were so excited to see grass for the first time!!

I think maybe some of you missed the second sentence, "they live inside a fully enclosed run". With that in mind, I would say leave them out, they know if they want to be in or not. Are you worried your mesh won't keep a predator out? I would think if your ducks saw a predator trying to get in they would hide under the chicken coop or in their own coop. As others have said, if you want them to sleep in the coop you will have to lock them in until they are used to using it.
On another note, good luck adding extra females. Do not be surprised if he tries to chase them away and is really mean to them, he will see them as a threat to his flock of two. Personally, I would put the three girls together for a few days before I introduce the drake.
Fully enclosed doesn't necessarily mean predator proof, and the mesh won't prevent wind chill
In the warmer months it may be okay, if its predator proof, but in the winter there are still risks

Thank you all so much for your replies!

So yes, they are in a fully enclosed, predator proof run. It has a steel roof, 1/4” hardware cloth, and wire buried all around. Our entire yard is surrounded by a 6 foot fence. In 11 years, we haven’t lost a single bird to a predator. I guess I am just a paranoid bird mama!

Perhaps I will lock them up at night for a while and see if they will learn to go into the house on their own. I guess they’d go in if they were cold.

To answer Miss Lydia’s question: yes - I suppose you could say I’m disabled. I have severe chronic health issues and I’m only operating on about 50% of my previous capacity. Still trying to give my family the care they all need but I’ve gotta choose my battles wisely!

And thank you for the advice on integrating them. We picked up a pair of Silver Appleyards from a hoarding situation nearby yesterday. The owner is being forced to get rid of all of her birds. Sad situation. So many ducks and geese just packed into filthy spaces. They were so excited to see grass for the first time!!
Thank you for caring and continuing to care despite your own adversity!

I'm sure your silver appleyards will enjoy their new predator proof home and, I hope they will integrate with your pekins with care.

Good to be see no touch for a week or so, and then integrate the female pekin with them. Once the three are well integrated then try your pekin drake.

Hi everyone!
We rescued a pair of pekin ducklings last summer: Goose and Maverick. They live inside a large, fully enclosed run with our 11 chickens. We gave them a lovely coop to sleep in (easily accessible) and they seemed to use it for a little bit. After a while, they were sleeping underneath the chicken coop, which is enclosed with wood panels on the outside, so that was fine. But lately, they seem to just be sleeping outside in the run. It rarely gets below freezing as we are in the San Francisco Bay area, but I worry about predators being able to see them through the hardware cloth. I’m not able to put them in a coop and lock them up at night and let them out in the morning. How do I get them to sleep in their house? Or should I just give up on that?! LOL

As Maverick turned out to be a drake, we are bringing home another pair of females today to keep him… ahem, occupied. I would like to teach all four of them to sleep in the coop at night. Any suggestions? TIA
Oh they are gorgeous!
Super sweet that you rescued them!

Predators are a real concern, I've done my best to predator proof my duck run, and things can still get in. (Small animals rats etc).
Do you not shut your ducks in their house at night? As long as its ventilated, big enough and wind proof, it would be wise to shut them in and let them out in the morning

Hi everyone!

I think maybe some of you missed the second sentence, "they live inside a fully enclosed run". With that in mind, I would say leave them out, they know if they want to be in or not. Are you worried your mesh won't keep a predator out? I would think if your ducks saw a predator trying to get in they would hide under the chicken coop or in their own coop. As others have said, if you want them to sleep in the coop you will have to lock them in until they are used to using it.
On another note, good luck adding extra females. Do not be surprised if he tries to chase them away and is really mean to them, he will see them as a threat to his flock of two. Personally, I would put the three girls together for a few days before I introduce the drake.

Ducks aren't chickens. You could leave them outdoors uncovered year round in that climate. Predators won't need to see them, they'll smell and hear them just fine.

IMO, the best way to keep out predators is to run a small electric wire around the bottom of the coop, maybe about 4" off the ground and 1-2" off the coop, and turn it on at night. When I say electric, I mean poultry specific electric, not just plugging some random wire into a socket. You need a 'fence energizer'. Otherwise, your coop sound fine for your area. I'm sure the raccoons get plenty of garbage around there.

Hi @The Golden Girl what a gordeous pair of ducks!! Thank you for rescuing them!!

My ducks needed "training" to get them into their coop for the night. Quite a few times chasing them round the garden until they got the hang of it. Even now they sometimes choose to congrate near their coop at dusk and other times come up to the house and wait for me by the back door! One way to get them to want to go into the coop is to put food in there. Mine is large enough to put food and tubs of water [near the door for ease of clean up of any spills] So now they not only assosciate me with food but their coop with food. Pekins are very food-driven!! My son's pekins stay in the back yard shouting at dusk but when he or I go out with the jug of food, they race us to the coop door. If you do not want food and water in the coop, maybe just put a few mealworms in there to tempt them in and leave a tub of water outside the door.

However, ducks very rarely reliably go into their coop at dusk in the way that chickens do. Even if milling around the coop door, they need shooing in. Once they get the hang of it, shooing them in is not difficult

Back
Top Bottom