Ducky DO'S & DON'TS

Pics
OK... read through the thread... does no one have an answer as to whether a broody hen would hatch duck eggs?!?

I'm thinking of a much simpler setup that can be filled with rain runoff and held for a few days, then drained to the garden as "Ducky Tea".....we have the contour of the land to work with so gravity can do most of the work. I haven't gotten it all worked out just yet, but I will use sand around it....so, a beach of sorts.....easily raked to deal with the poo spots....and to aid in absorbtion to keep skeeters from becoming any worse than they already are. Having to deal with the skeeters and gnats are probably the biggest issue that can be annoying, but they are so much worth it imo....we put up with a lot from plenty things in life that we accept and deal with....nothing is perfect, but the Reward has to be worth the sacrifice....and they certainly are.....:love

I'd love to know your thoughts on this..... we have gravity working for us in this aspect as well... and I would LOVE to have ducks... but I'd need to have a situation where they're easily maintained.

Is it poo in the pool or mostly dirt? Would gravel bedding around the pool help with dirt muddying up the water?
I am planning a sunken pond kinda. That means I would have to pump the water out everyday? Or would a filtration system be needed. I have a heavy duty pump already and was planning a kinda scenic waterfall (small) if I can gather enough rocks. I am sure the filter would need to be rinsed daily. But how often draining? Still once a day or so?.

I sunk an old boat! We put some river gravel (the round-ish smooth rocks) around where they get in and out and it does seem to do well.

My Don't list -
don't ever, ever give ducks access to feed without access to water.
Don't keep the feed and water close to each other. They make more of a mess with the feed when the water is nearby.

DO get ducks!!! :clap :D

that can be filled with rain runoff and held for a few days, then drained to the garden as "Ducky Tea".....we have the contour of the land to work with so gravity can do most of the work.
The said spot is on the east end of the main barn that yields massive rain water routed from the front and back gutters. Interesting. Gravity would feed duck tea into my feeder swine who have piggy tea during heavy rain events. Still food for thought. It would maybe bring a French Drain into play. So much to absorb to enter this into plan w/existing close by habitats.. My pencil lead is needing a good sharpening.

Last edited:
I sunk an old boat! We put some river gravel (the round-ish smooth rocks) around where they get in and out and it does seem to do well.

My Don't list -
don't ever, ever give ducks access to feed without access to water.
Don't keep the feed and water close to each other. They make more of a mess with the feed when the water is nearby.

DO get ducks!!! :clap :D
:goodpost: As always, WV saves the day. I entirely forgot to mention those things. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom