Dueling young cockerels! Help?!

disneygirlaudra

Chirping
Mar 5, 2016
Oklahoma
My sweet Pip, 14 week old Blue Andalusian cockerel, has scratches and cuts on his comb, wattles and ear and matted blood on the back of his neck. He seems fine, eating and drinking but is very humbled. I think Hiro, my 15 week old Black Japanese Bantam might be the culprit because of the way he follows Pip and won't stop crowing. Pip runs to a corner when Hiro comes around and is hanging with the younger girls! First off, how to I help Pip's wounds? Should I wash the neck and doctor everything or just leave it be? Secondly, do I need to get rid of Hiro? He's been friendly up until now, even lets us hold him. I have one other OEGB cockerel that seems clueless. It's hard to see but his ear has a gash and the tip of one of his comb points is bloody as well as a long scratch along the comb. You can kind of see the matted wet blood on the neck. https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7452913/

Hard to believe, but this is the pint size bully!

Pip trying to get as far away as possible!

My roos fought when I had more than one. I never washed them up, but if it looks bad, you may want to. I would get rid of one if I were you. Poor rooster :(

Do you have enough room on your property to make a separate coop/run?
If so, do you have enough hens to go around for each of your cockerels?
They are both GORGEOUS and it's clear that you love them both dearly.
As for the wounds, it won't hurt to spray Vetericyn on them just so they don't get infected.

Do you have enough room on your property to make a separate coop/run?
If so, do you have enough hens to go around for each of your cockerels?
They are both GORGEOUS and it's clear that you love them both dearly.
As for the wounds, it won't hurt to spray Vetericyn on them just so they don't get infected.
Good idea!

It's not the size of the rooster in the fight but rather the size of the fight in the rooster. If you separate them now it will likely be impossible to reunite them later once they both reach their cock-hood. Fighting is how roosters divide the women folks between themselves. More hens can result in all 3 birds getting along or at least a two on one split between the two roosters who were fighting and the one who hasn't got a clue. Roosters form gangs if it becomes necessary to hold territory and hens. Otherwise it is every man for himself and to quote the bard from Stratford on the Avon, "Lay on McDuff and dang be he who first cries halt, enough!!"

Thanks everyone! I do have another enclosure with my six 1 1/2 year old laying girls, I was going to open it up when the new ones got older but maybe I'll put Pip in there with them. I have 10 asst hens 12-15 weeks old like Pip and Hiro, 7 asst 9 week old hens (maybe 2 cockerels
1f612.png
) and 6 more 6 week old hens. They are all in a 75'x75' run (1/3 of that is the big girl run) and have a large coop. i guess going from 6 hens to over 30 wasn't the best idea. Learning so much this year.
1f60f.png

Back
Top Bottom