DUMB health ?

bkreugar

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Asheboro NC
Okay I am riding the fence on going to doc or not. about 2 weeks ago everyone came down with a cold. Everyone is over it now, but me. About 5 days ago I started getting yellow/then green gunk when I blew my nose.

So copious amounts of decongestants and blowing of my nose, and now 5 days in of green/yellow stuff i am starting to get tinges of a headache. So i'm thinking i am on the cusp of a sinus infection.

I have had them before, killer ones that made me know want to lift my head from the pillow. I am not there yet. I am wondering is it a MUST to go to the doc since I am on day 5 of the green gunk or is it POSSIBLE it will run its course without antibiotics??

Wanting to know if it is an absolute I am heading to a sinus infection and will need antibiotics.

TIA

I usually wait and ride it out...
I'm usually half dead before i'll go see a doctor.
lol.png

red hen have you been able to go from greeen gunk to fine WITHOUT antibiotics??? If so and I don;t get the killer headaches I will ride it out.

RX: First, you needs tons of sympathy and pampering followed by hot peppery foods, hot shower, and a nice nature walk to get some cool fresh air. Avoid anything with dairy or citrus cause it makes more mucus. A soup with tubers and shiitake mushrooms will help alleviate the symptoms. If after that, you don't feel better, then maybe see a doc. Two cents worth of free advice.

Quote:
Green usually means infection.. so if you are prone to sinus infections, i'd go in.

But yes, i've been fine with green gunk and not needed any meds. It cleared itself up on its own. Each person is different though..

First of all, clear rhinorrhea (snot) is a sign of a virus/cold. Not usually a big deal.

When it turns colors like green or yellow, you need to see a doctor for an antibiotic. The colored mucus indicates that virus has become an infection in your tissues, and all the decongestants at Walgreen's aren't going to help you.

Last edited:
I would get a neti pot. It will help you clear all the gunk out of your nose and keep you from getting headaches while everything clears up.

I'm 52, growing up we never went to the doctor and when we got the green gunk we just let it run it's course and we all survived. My wife on the other hand, ran to the doctor for every little thing and has major problems and allergies to antibiotics in her adult life. Personally, if the pain is bearable, I'd ride it out, but it's ultimately your decision.

I am very prone to sinus infections. My rule of thumb has always been, once it gets to the technicolor snot stage, it's time to go to the doctor. And make sure you take the full course of antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom