Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen to that! Better "weird" for raising chickens than "normal" for thinking food comes from a store.
That's for sure. I like knowing where my food comes from. With the agri-industrial complex we depend on so much now, you can't always do that. I'm looking forward to when our chickens do start laying. I just hope none of our neighbors complain about the "hen" that turned out to be a rooster.
big_smile.png

I'm glad I know a lot of people that are really trying to become sustainable. And we are, to some degree, too.

At my parent's restaurant, they are really trying to buy their veggies from local gardeners. They get their chicken (and occasionally bison) from local ranchers. They get their eggs from me. It says this on the menus. They are really trying to tell people, "Hey, let's move away from this possessed gross food. Look how good this is. You know who grew this? Your neighbor did. Not 2,000 underpaid workers for a big corp."

I think it has been good for our community.
I think you meant to say 'processed' instead of 'possessed', but I won't make that assumption without asking you first.
lau.gif

While I agree with what you are saying, Appylover mentioned that he was born in 1963, and moved here when he was 25. He has spent almost 25 adult years living in America. One would think that after that amount of time, he would understand that many people here raise food for hobby and health as well as necessity. Just a little surprising I guess.

Aha! Right you are. Thank you for catching my oversight; I forgot about the time frame and was trying to be understanding. But, I agree ... one would think he'd have adapted to his new culture by now. It seems some people never cease to amaze, do they?

I'm glad I know a lot of people that are really trying to become sustainable. And we are, to some degree, too.

At my parent's restaurant, they are really trying to buy their veggies from local gardeners. They get their chicken (and occasionally bison) from local ranchers. They get their eggs from me. It says this on the menus. They are really trying to tell people, "Hey, let's move away from this processed, gross food. Look how good this is. You know who grew this? Your neighbor did. Not 2,000 underpaid workers for a big corp."

COOL!!
cool.png

Seems some people are wising up to Corporate America's biggest scam: "Why cook when we can provide a ready-cooked meal for you?" Too many Americans gladly drank the Kool-Aid and jumped on the bandwagon. But, they forgot there are no free lunches or real shortcuts in life, and we forgot to ask the price of "convenience". It was like selling our souls to the devil. Unfortunately, too many are so lazy that they don't care about sacrificing quality, healthy food, and sustainable practices in exchange for not having to cook and clean up. As I've said before, that's one way to thin the herd.

A quote cited by another BYC member seems to fit here: "It Is Easier To Fool People Than To Convince People That They Have Been Fooled." Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

As for me, I've always been ornery and independent, hating to rely on and be "beholdin'" to others except when it's absolutely necessary. I've always preferred self-reliance to dependence. Now that we're seeing what relying on corporations to provide our food means, it seems my orneriness is paying off.
tongue.png

Last edited:
COOL!!
cool.png

Seems some people are wising up to Corporate America's marketing blitz: "why cook when we can provide a ready-cooked meal for you?" and, too many Americans jumped on the bandwagon. But, they forgot to tell us what we were giving up for that "convenience"; and, even though we know there are no real shortcuts in life, we forgot to ask. Unfortunately, too many are so lazy that they don't care about sacrificing quality, healthy food, and sustainable practices for not having to cook and clean up. As I've said before, that;s one way to thin the herd.

THANK YOU! My aunt thinks that her son is just fine eating Hostess cakes and mountain dew all day, because "She can't cook very well". I will admit, I like myself a pre-packaged cupcake every once in a while, but if I really want one, I make a dozen from scratch cupcakes
droolin.gif
. Some people will never know the other side, more for me I guess!

THANK YOU! My aunt thinks that her son is just fine eating Hostess cakes and mountain dew all day, because "She can't cook very well". I will admit, I like myself a pre-packaged cupcake every once in a while, but if I really want one, I make a dozen from scratch cupcakes
droolin.gif
. Some people will never know the other side, more for me I guess!

"It Is Easier To Fool People Than To Convince People That They Have Been Fooled." Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) Just thinning the herd.

I've had people ask me why I didn't just buy eggs at the store and hatch them . Also, I've had someone ask if you could castrate a rooster. I said yes, but it's quite traumatic to the rooster as the testicles are located within the bird. The person was confused then, and said they thought they were on the outside like a dogs or cats. And along the same line, when showing people chicks that I wasn't sure were male or female yet, they asked "Why don't you just, you know, look underneath them?". And of course, I've heard the classic "Why are your roosters crowing, it's not morning?", "Eew, how could you eat fertilized eggs, that's like eating chicks", and "Brown eggs are healthier. It's been proven.", *picks up hen* "Oh this rooster is so gorgeous!"(and vice versa), "Chickens are herbivores, why are you giving them meat?", *watches chicken fly up to perch* "Whoa, I thought chickens couldn't fly!" and I'm sure I've heard many others I can't recall right now
roll.png

I've had people ask me why I didn't just buy eggs at the store and hatch them . Also, I've had someone ask if you could castrate a rooster. I said yes, but it's quite traumatic to the rooster as the testicles are located within the bird. The person was confused then, and said they thought they were on the outside like a dogs or cats. And along the same line, when showing people chicks that I wasn't sure were male or female yet, they asked "Why don't you just, you know, look underneath them?". And of course, I've heard the classic "Why are your roosters crowing, it's not morning?", "Eew, how could you eat fertilized eggs, that's like eating chicks", and "Brown eggs are healthier. It's been proven.", *picks up hen* "Oh this rooster is so gorgeous!"(and vice versa), "Chickens are herbivores, why are you giving them meat?", *watches chicken fly up to perch* "Whoa, I thought chickens couldn't fly!" and I'm sure I've heard many others I can't recall right now
roll.png

Don't you just LOVE it when people make assumptions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom