Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like if you had shared a little more knowledge, you would have helped someone. Instead you just let him be ignorant and judged him for it.
The poster did try to impart knowlege. The person didn't like what he/she heard. If someone doesn't want to learn or already knows it all, you are wasting your breath trying to tell them anything.

How can you argue that someone who upon hearing that Cornish hens are butchered young, then swears off eating them - doesn't want to know more? If your argument is that I didn't hear the conversation then your interpretation of it is null as well.

Well there is always the point that ignorance is a choice, and not an excuse. Just because someone doesn't know where their food comes from or how long it lives before it is butchered doesn't mean it is our job to inform them. They have the ability to find out on their own, if they don't maybe that means they don't want to know, or they don't really care. And if we shouldn't judge others for wanting to learn, maybe we shouldn't judge them for how they handle their own situations.

How can you argue that someone who upon hearing that Cornish hens are butchered young, then swears off eating them - doesn't want to know more? If your argument is that I didn't hear the conversation then your interpretation of it is null as well.

you may notice that i did not offer an interpretation of the conversation. i at most offered an alternative explanation or view point. from my perspective, i just offered information on people in general based on observation. it had nothing to do with the individual in question or any other individual at all.

Seems like if you had shared a little more knowledge, you would have helped someone. Instead you just let him be ignorant and judged him for it.
i didn't tell him because i didn't want to turn him against chicken. a lot of people aren't ready for the truth about their food, this guy was obviously one of them. i don't know what your beliefs are, but in my mind there are way to many people who "over-trust" things because they are factory produced. this man was obviously one of them, as he comes around more i will tell him this stuff. im one of the few people who pushes this knowledge readily in most cases. there is a certain point where you just arm someone with general knowledge, let them research it and come back to you. that's where this guy is. most of our discussion was about GMO's and how he should watch "Food inc." this is the best way i have found to get someone started thinking in what i believe to be the right direction. if they don't want to believe it, then i haven't forced it on them.

go backwards on this thread a couple of weeks, you will realize im all for teaching people good farming techniques.

sorry didn't mean to make this a lecture
lau.gif

in her defense jesirose appears to be newer than i am to this thread. not to make this another lecture, but instead trying to explain to everyone who reads this why i did stop where i did.

a lot of people don't realize that cheese is spoiled milk. do you think that these people are ready to know the bratwurst they eat are stuffed in hog intestines? to fully educate someone on where their food comes from takes a lot of time. this person didn't know that Cornish hens were young chickens, i did explain that part, the first step in their learning. i also told them that the breed isn't a long lived breed and need to be butchered. a small conversation about cattle started after that, they thought all cows were milk and meat cows. then a conversation about e. coli resulting from feeding cattle corn, but that just because you feed a cow corn; does not mean you will get e. coli. i had almost scared this person away from eating beef and drinking milk. that's when i told them about a few articles in "Grit" magazine, and about "Food Inc.".
i also told them not to believe everything they read or hear to the fullest, as different opinions will skew results to its position on the matter. (i hope that makes since)

Quote: I had an aunt whom wouldn't eat beef at my grandparents (her inlaw's house) because they raised their own beef cattle and butchered. her husband my uncle noticed that after a few meals and asked her why since she ate beef at home. it was because she was brain washed in school and thru media that any meat that was not graded by the government was unfit to eat. My uncle had to explain that if a farmer had a sickly cow or one that was not up to snuff it went promptly off to the feed lots that supplied the beef for the stores! The only time farmers in that area butchered that was not "up to snuff" if they had one that was healthy but had either a broken leg or had some minor flaw that it would not bring top dollar at the auction (like not having "perfect" bone structure).

In this day and age, with the worldwide web and Google, it amazes me that people would argue so strenuously about such topics as "you need a rooster to get eggs" or "chickens don't lay blue or green shelled eggs". Their urge to "show their superiority" only results in them showing their ignorance and arrogance. If I hear anything that I don't particularly believe to be true, or think someone might be pulling my leg, I keep my mouth shut and head for the nearest computer. Usually no more than a few minutes later, I have my answers...either I was correct and the person WAS pulling my leg, OR I find out that loe and behold I still don't know everything there is to know; HOWEVER I did just add one more thing to the list of things I DO know. It almost makes you want to cart around an iPad or tablet with you so you could help these poor idiots out but I have to admit, letting them make total fools out of themselves is a lot more fun and rewarding.
I had to laugh because I have an ongoing argument with a person who was angry because I found some links on the internet to clear up some questions. They were furious about it! lol. Some people really do not want to know whats real.

I think there's a difference between the type of person who states "facts" and won't be willing to learn, and the type of person who when told that a Cornish Hen is a baby chicken declares they won't eat them anymore. That second person probably also would have wanted to know that the chicken they buy in the grocery is 8 weeks old. It sounds like they would have been open to learning about other options. That's not being dumb and argumentative. It's ignorance which can be corrected, and from the sound of it the guy wanted to learn. 

People ask me questions about my chickens all the time. I'm talking about the difference between someone who does argue and act like they know it all, and someone who takes in the new information and adjusts their own life. The guy in question sounds like he falls into the second group. I think it's a little hypocritical of us to make fun of people who simply don't know any better, did everyone here wake up one day knowing everything about chickens? No. No one deserves to be made fun of just for not knowing something. The people who argue and refuse to learn are fair game IMO.

:old DITTO!! :old

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom