Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chickens can withstand cold a lot better than heat. Feathers are good insulation. Breeds with small combs like Brahmas seem almost immune to cold. l don't bother with a heat lamp, but if I want winter eggs I do use a light. I have it on a timer.

Being new to this, i'll throw in my dumb assumptions along with some dumb comments from family etc..

I thought you had to have a rooster to have eggs...woops
I truly thought they did some type of bleaching or coloring to get the white eggs from the store...
I had no clue they'd eat frogs, snakes, etc...

a few seen some of my pics of the chickens and said they wouldnt get eggs from me knowing they had eaten frogs,snakes, bugs, etc..

"the brown ones look gross, I only want white ones"
"will there be a chick in it when you give them to me"
"the yoke is too dark, i dont want them"

Being new to this, i'll throw in my dumb assumptions along with some dumb comments from family etc..

I truly thought they did some type of bleaching or coloring to get the white eggs from the store...

a few seen some of my pics of the chickens and said they wouldnt get eggs from me knowing they had eaten frogs,snakes, bugs, etc..

lau.gif
Thanks for posting this!

OH MY GOSH, THAT IS HILARIOUS!!!!
gig.gif

To be fair, most birds won't lay eggs without a mate. I know my budgies don't. But somehow I always knew chickens laid without a male, and quail are the same. I wonder what the difference is.

To be fair, most birds won't lay eggs without a mate. I know my budgies don't. But somehow I always knew chickens laid without a male, and quail are the same. I wonder what the difference is.

it is because of hundreds of years of breeding to maximize production, if people wanted to eat budgie eggs they could change that as well after a couple of generations (not sure how many though, I have no clue about caged birds). Quail were bred to lay quite quickly because young hens are ready to be bred at six weeks old so several generations could be bred in a year. Quail can often be better layers then chickens if you get the right type

A lot of birds will lay eggs without a male, though. And not just domesticated poultry bred for egg production.

A lot of birds will lay eggs without a male, though. And not just domesticated poultry bred for egg production.
It comes from the Red Jungle fowl. Most of our chickens are domesticated versions of them. They have found some Green jungle fowl genes mixed in with Blue shelled layers but do not know how that happened. If green jungle fowl is crossed with Red jungle fowl, the progeny is infertile. There must have been a genetic difference back then or a weird viral mutation must have happened.

Haha there's some funny posts here!
This girl at work has twice asked me what's the difference between a chicken and a hen! Poor girl, I thought that was quite something... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom