Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a stupid comment happen just today!

I processed my first chicken today (rather well, I think so) and my aunt says "Poor chicken, I rather get mine from the store, that's just mean killing that poor chicken."

he.gif

since when did chickens NOT have to die to be sold in the store????
th.gif

I processed my first chicken today (rather well, I think so) and my aunt says "Poor chicken, I rather get mine from the store, that's just mean killing that poor chicken."

he.gif

since when did chickens NOT have to die to be sold in the store????
th.gif
She watches way too much Star Trek me thinks.
See what I mean?

Living in a place where almost everyone puts on heavy sweaters or jackets if it gets down to 75 F, I am soooooo glad I'm not in the US this winter! Still I do have a funny story. Some years ago, I had a visitor from the US who wanted to see what a *real* African village was like. I warned her, that we would be guests and have to eat anything offered us (no fast food options- we eat what we're served or we don't eat) and how was she about eating meat? "No problem!"

Well the first day in the village, our hosts caught a chicken to feed us (read: great honor since they don't often eat meat.) My poor friend unfortunately saw this--a little hard to miss since the children had to run the poor thing down- chickens living pretty much wild. So about an hour later, here comes our chicken dinner, but my friend couldn't eat it! I asked her why not,since she told me she eats chicken in the US. Basically the answer was that she had never associated "chicken" with the live bird! Seeing the living bird that was later put cooked before her was too much. Unfortunately meat of all kinds is offered to honored guests so it was a very long week for her with too little to eat. I think the palm rat we were served the next day was even worse than the chicken!

I just want to say that we call 75 F summer here. There is a week or two of 80 F. I don't think I could handle hot temps anymore. We've talked about moving to a colder climate even. 

i had one stupid thing happen the other day. my grandmother has just learned about hens with white earlobes will most likely lay white eggs and hens with red earlobes will lay brown eggs and she wanted me to explain it to a friend for her so i did and after explaining it to him he just had a blank stare on his face and said "you mean to tell me that chickens have ears?" the bad part was this guy HAS CHICKENS now if he didnt have a whole flock of laying hens in his backyard i could understand a little more why he would think that but he has had them for YEARS!!!!!!!

:he

since when did chickens NOT have to die to be sold in the store????  :th
You should have told her, well when they are alive, they keep hopping off the plate!

Not dumb but...
At school today, I don't remember how the conversation started, but we started talking about backyard chickens during science. It was something about some YouTube guy I didn't know about, and it ended with him promising he would look at backyard chickens. I seriously doubt that he will.

P.S. He said during homeroom "what's that, some kind of chicken blog?" It just made me think of someone's earlier post about some guy thinking backyard chickens was redneck Facebook!

P.P.S just in case he does look at backyard chickens....hi!:frow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom