Le Moth

Songster
7 Years
Jun 19, 2015
New Zealand
Had a wild turkey hen hatch some chicks a couple days ago.
We found 2 still wet chicks in the nest, 1 was pecked to death and the other died 6 hours later despite our attempts to save it.
The next afternoon I found 2 more dead, where the hen had spent the night, both of those wet and on their backs, no signs of injury.
We picked up the last 2 that same day, as she had lost interest (first time mum). One could no longer stand, the other seemed okay.
Yesterday we put down the one that couldn't stand, it had slept all day and night and no longer responded to anything.
The final one now has tremors, suddenly favors one leg, does not have an appetite (we have been "force" feeding it) and is getting weaker.

I don't think he'll make it, I just wanted other opinions. Could it be a bad hatch, illness or maybe we are missing something?

Any reccomendations?

I don't know if it's important but these chicks belonged to the hen I've posted about previously, she had something wrong with her leg scales.

Sorry to hear about all the misfortune with this little family!
It does sound like something was wrong from the start. I know nothing about turkeys but I think if it were a chick remaining I would try a direct dose of nutri drench? :idunno
Unfortunately I do not have any and we are quite a way from town. If it lasts I shall definitely try to pick some up tomorrow.

That hen turned up again this morning with someone elses chick, poor thing, she's so desperate :(

Sorry to hear about all the misfortune with this little family!
It does sound like something was wrong from the start. I know nothing about turkeys but I think if it were a chick remaining I would try a direct dose of nutri drench? :idunno
I thought you might like to know that he has improved and is now standing, hobbling around and eating on his own, even more so after giving him a friend (the blonde one).
Taking him to a vet in the morning also, I think it may be a slipped tendon, hopefully it can be fixed and I didn't leave it too long.

Attachments

• IMG_20181212_174620.jpg
    IMG_20181212_174620.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 5
So sorry that your little turkey had to be put down:(. Is the blonde one okay on it's own? Turkeys are notoriously bad mothers, but usually they manage to at least raise a few. Seems like something was wrong since the start.
I'm in New Zealand as well, and love my turkeys;))

So sorry that your little turkey had to be put down:(. Is the blonde one okay on it's own? Turkeys are notoriously bad mothers, but usually they manage to at least raise a few. Seems like something was wrong since the start.
I'm in New Zealand as well, and love my turkeys;))
The blonde one originally disliked us but now it's like we're all best buds. It's very clingy, wanting to be with us constantly. Poor thing but otherwise seems okay. Not quite sure whether or not to raise it on it's own.

Back
Top Bottom