Dying rooster?

Wyatt0224

Chirping
Mar 1, 2016
Westminster, Maryland
Hello everyone. I have a RIR rooster who will be one year old tomorrow. He's been acting very odd for the past month or so. It started when his crow became more hoarse and raspy but also getting shorter by the day until he stopped about two weeks ago. Right around when he stopped crowing he had trouble standing and walking. He's to the point where he'll walk around for five minutes and sit down for 20. Anyone have any idea what's wrong with him? As I'm typing this he's sitting on the ground in front of me falling asleep as his hens meander around the yard.

I am sorry to hear about your rooster. As you probably know, it is hard to know exactly what might be wrong with him without seeing a vet for lab tests and maybe even X-rays. Most of us either can't spend the monsy or we can't find a vet in our area. How is the color in his comb? Does he have any nasal drainage, watery eyes, or gasping? Is he taking water or food? Has is been wet there recently? Some possibilities could be a fungal disease from mold called aspergillosis, worms such as caillary worms which can affect breathing, or one of the other respiratory diseases from a virus or bacteria. I would try to give him feed thinned with water and a little plain yogurt for probiotics. Chopped egg or canned tuna would also be good-- whatever he will take, but water is most important. Vitamins or Poultry NutriDrench 3 drops daily might help. Feel of his crop to check if it is empty, full, puffy or hard. How do his poops look? I would also check his skin under the vent for mites or lice.

I am sorry to hear about your rooster. As you probably know, it is hard to know exactly what might be wrong with him without seeing a vet for lab tests and maybe even X-rays. Most of us either can't spend the monsy or we can't find a vet in our area. How is the color in his comb? Does he have any nasal drainage, watery eyes, or gasping? Is he taking water or food? Has is been wet there recently? Some possibilities could be a fungal disease from mold called aspergillosis, worms such as caillary worms which can affect breathing, or one of the other respiratory diseases from a virus or bacteria. I would try to give him feed thinned with water and a little plain yogurt for probiotics. Chopped egg or canned tuna would also be good-- whatever he will take, but water is most important. Vitamins or Poultry NutriDrench 3 drops daily might help. Feel of his crop to check if it is empty, full, puffy or hard. How do his poops look? I would also check his skin under the vent for mites or lice.

Thank you @Eggcessive for responding. I do not know of a vet in my area unfortunately. He is drinking and eating, I don't know how much though but I have seen him. It does not appear to be wet down there. I did give him yogurt a few days ago and he seemed to have perked up a little bit but is now going down hill again. I haven't seen his poop yet. Am I able to order NutriDrench online?

Yes, Nutridrench is available online, but most feed stores and TSC carry it and Poultry Cell which are pretty much the same. Try adding water and yogurt to a small bowl of food to make it soupy.

Back
Top Bottom