Early morning attack, Please help!

You can make your own Save-a chic or Gatoraid. Getting electrolytes into her immediately is crucial to her recovery.

1/4 cup hot water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1'2 teaspoon baking soda.
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
Optional: 1 teaspoon flavored Jello powder

Mix together and then add 3 1/2 cups cool water

IM SO SORRY FOR MARTY...a few months ago i put my little 4 week old silkie and crested polish in a coop that had a wire door, i thought it was small enough holes that nothing could get through, well NOT,,a raccoon got his arm in there and pulled the 2 out, my husband had previously said they were too small to go out but its so warm here in florida, i thought it was okay, i dread to this day...i should have listened to him...but now there is very small hardware cloth on that door and hope it will never happen again...losing little or big chickens is heart wrenching....im sure marty will recover

Looks to be a bit of injury around the ear area, maybe a bit of shavings in it? I wouldn't stress her out right this minute, but once she's looking a little better I'd clean that up, make sure no dirt or shavings are stuck, and maybe put a bit of plain neosporin on it. She looks a tad bit better to me already, hope she improves with a bit of time and care.

That's what I was thinking about her ear area. She is looking a bit better, I opened up the box to try and give some of the save-a-chick and her eyes were wide open :weeI put a drop on the tip of her beak and it just rolled off. I tried again more at the side of her beak, but at the tip and again she didn't respond. She just closed her eyes again. Also I removed the towel from on top of her. She doesn't seem to mind either way. Here's a pic of her when I opened up the box.

IMG_20190728_095416711.jpg

You can make your own Save-a chic or Gatoraid. Getting electrolytes into her immediately is crucial to her recovery.

1/4 cup hot water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1'2 teaspoon baking soda.
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
Optional: 1 teaspoon flavored Jello powder

Mix together and then add 3 1/2 cups cool water

Thanks I'm going to write this done for future reference. Now how do I get her to drink the save-a-chick? she seems to have no interest in it.

Hi so sorry what happened to your Marty. I also believe it is still in shock, bless.
You are doing all the correct things, and the last pics look a lot better than the first.
With your TLC and nursing fingers crossed she will recover from this horrible ordeal.
We are all rooting for her here on BYC and send our love. :love

IM SO SORRY FOR MARTY...a few months ago i put my little 4 week old silkie and crested polish in a coop that had a wire door, i thought it was small enough holes that nothing could get through, well NOT,,a raccoon got his arm in there and pulled the 2 out, my husband had previously said they were too small to go out but its so warm here in florida, i thought it was okay, i dread to this day...i should have listened to him...but now there is very small hardware cloth on that door and hope it will never happen again...losing little or big chickens is heart wrenching....im sure marty will recover

I'm so sorry for your loss, Yes it is hard. I'm setting up a live trap tonight to catch the...……..Ummm Racoon. Thank you for your support.

Hi so sorry what happened to your Marty. I also believe it is still in shock, bless.
You are doing all the correct things, and the last pics look a lot better than the first.
With your TLC and nursing fingers crossed she will recover from this horrible ordeal.
We are all rooting for her here on BYC and send our love. :love

Thank you so much.

I have a couple of those very skinny syringes, free from Walmart pharmacy. They are the diameter of a pencil and fit well into the esophagus of a chicken, and are even easy to use on new chicks.

You open the hen's beak and prop it open with your thumb and middle finger. You take the loaded syringe and insert it into her beak and along the wall on the right side of her mouth. This leads directly into the crop.

As long as you remain close on that right side and squeeze out a drop at time, none will get into her airway. I've done this with brand new baby chicks to revive them after travel shock. (Baby chick beaks are even harder to try to pry open than alligator jaws.)

Back
Top Bottom