Earthen Acres Homestead: First mixed laying flock

Well my friends I officially have a bloody hen! She has been on the nest for 2 days. I hope she does it! It's my silver pencil rock, fluffy. Don't know how many is under her yet. So excited to witness this majestic part of bird life. Even if it doesn't go all the way it's already so cool to see her hormones kick in and change her. Teehee:wee
That is so exciting! Woohoo! :wee

By the way I think you mean broody, not bloody. Scared me for a moment there. :eek:

Ah yes broody broody! I'm holding off naming the chicks until I known there ultimate fate. So far I refer to them kinda like juniors: wilma's baby is wilmy, pearly is pearly lol. Corny but works. It looks like I'll be able to keep any girls tho! And get a bunch more! I got some big plans in the works. Gonna do a detailed post when it's more figured out, but for now we will just say my small personal eating egg flock may be becoming my new csa funded small business! I love my !ife. @BY Bob

Well my friends I officially have a bloody hen! She has been on the nest for 2 days. I hope she does it! It's my silver pencil rock, fluffy. Don't know how many is under her yet. So excited to witness this majestic part of bird life. Even if it doesn't go all the way it's already so cool to see her hormones kick in and change her. Teehee:wee
That is so exciting. Good luck!

Moved the keets outside today. They are 1 month old. I put their original brooder tote in the coop to make it feel like home and to work as a huddlebox. I put their heat plate in the box. I will provide them heat at night(lows about 45f) for a week and then that's that! They have 24ft of roost space(2x3s rounded off) in there. I will keep them in the coop for a month, then build a small run for them for two weeks, then let them free range in the day and hopefully come back at night. I am so glad to have them out of my bathroom!
20200519_105917.jpg

20200519_172616.jpg

I also moved my 2 week old chicks outside into a disused rabbit hutch I built last year. My house is baby bird free I'm so happy! Chick pics to come a little later.

Moved the keets outside today. They are 1 month old. I put their original brooder tote in the coop to make it feel like home and to work as a huddlebox. I put their heat plate in the box. I will provide them heat at night(lows about 45f) for a week and then that's that! They have 24ft of roost space(2x3s rounded off) in there. I will keep them in the coop for a month, then build a small run for them for two weeks, then let them free range in the day and hopefully come back at night. I am so glad to have them out of my bathroom!
View attachment 2149041
View attachment 2149042
I also moved my 2 week old chicks outside into a disused rabbit hutch I built last year. My house is baby bird free I'm so happy! Chick pics to come a little later.
It is always nice when they leave the house. It is funny how that is. At first you want those cute little things around forever. In the end you are relieved that they have moved into their own space. That is quite a home you made for them. Nice job.

It is always nice when they leave the house. It is funny how that is. At first you want those cute little things around forever. In the end you are relieved that they have moved into their own space. That is quite a home you made for them. Nice job.

Thank you! That is so true. I fought and fought with my wife to brood in the house this year. It was...not as enjoyable as one might think. I actually find now that they are outside it's so much easier to interact with them, and even observe(my dog is very needy and anxious lol). Thanks again for the props on the coop! This is the biggest thing I have ever built by myself. I stressed and stressed, it vas very variable due to multiple sizes of pallets being the main building material, but I'm proud of it. Here's a pic of it almost finished.
20200513_173745.jpg

Thank you! That is so true. I fought and fought with my wife to brood in the house this year. It was...not as enjoyable as one might think. I actually find now that they are outside it's so much easier to interact with them, and even observe(my dog is very needy and anxious lol). Thanks again for the props on the coop! This is the biggest thing I have ever built by myself. I stressed and stressed, it vas very variable due to multiple sizes of pallets being the main building material, but I'm proud of it. Here's a pic of it almost finished.
View attachment 2152038
You really did a great job with it. You should be proud.

Back
Top Bottom