Easter Egger club!

What is meant by "not breeding true" is that their body type and coloration will probably fluctuate, sometimes wildly, between siblings. If what you're going for is a blue egg layer, then THAT tends to breed "true" because blue eggs are dominant. That means if a hen has only one copy of the blue egg gene, she'll still lay blue eggs. If the other half is for a brown egg gene, then she lays olive eggs (or just a muddy blue, depending on how strong the brown and blue are). This site has some really good simple explanations on what you can expect from your blue egg layers: https://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/gms2-breeding-for-blue-eggs/

The "problem" with the blue egg gene being dominant is that if you cross a hen that has only one copy along with a rooster that has only one copy, then 25% of chicks won't be blue egg layers. 50% will lay/carry blue but be like the parents that if crossed with another 50/50 they will end up with the 1-2-1 pattern of chicks, and another 25% will be "pure" blue egg carriers, in that if they were crossed with a bird without the blue egg gene, all chicks would be carriers.

Interesting info, thank you. Cackles EEs are supposed to lay blue, green, possibly pinkish or pink maybe. So, suppsedly their babies will do the same. I hope so.

If they have any that lay pink eggs, then they won't breed true, so not sure why they told you that. Pink means there's a complete absence of the blue egg gene, which leads me to think they have a bunch of Oo birds instead of OO.

If they have any that lay pink eggs, then they won't breed true, so not sure why they told you that. Pink means there's a complete absence of the blue egg gene, which leads me to think they have a bunch of Oo birds instead of OO.

They probably won't tell me their proprietary generic mix, so I'll have to endure the suspense.

Need help my ee pullet has been squatting and getting ready to lay..when I went to let them out this morning all of them came right out but my white one she just layed on the perch and has been fluffed up all day with her eyes shut....she dont move when I walk up to her...I can take her out she will peck and drink and poop but goes back to the coop and back to sleep she aint panting or making any noise I checked I dont feel a egg but I have never tryed to feel one so I might not no...any ideas would help

Need help my ee pullet has been squatting and getting ready to lay..when I went to let them out this morning all of them came right out but my white one she just layed on the perch and has been fluffed up all day with her eyes shut....she dont move when I walk up to her...I can take her out she will peck and drink and poop but goes back to the coop and back to sleep she aint panting or making any noise I checked I dont feel a egg but I have never tryed to feel one so I might not no...any ideas would help
Is she coughing or sneezing or anything? Does she feel thin like she hasn't been eating. If she is sick you should separate her from the flock so you can monitor her better and so she won't get the other birds sick.

She dont seem sick no cough or anything she just goes and jumps on perch and sleeps both laying and standing she dont seem weak she has no problem jumping but dont seem to move very fast and sleeps unless I take her out.....I no she was about to lay a egg yesterday she was fine squatting when I walked up to her she was in box fixing it up her sister started last week laying...I dont know no signs of anything she just fluffs up and sleeps eyes closed and dont care what happends around her....I take her out and shes walks around 5min pecks drinks and all but then right back to perch to sleep my thought was a egg stuck but I couldn't really tell

Hello,

I would love to get your opinion on this chick... I ordered three mystery chicks form Mypetchicken ( all female) and I believe that this one could be an easter egger...

What do you think???

LL

LL

It doesn't look like it has muffs or a beard (even as chicks they show up as a super fluffy face). That doesn't necessarily mean it's not an EE, just that it's less likely since muffs/beard are very common. Chipmunk stripes are also common in EE chicks, but the face tends to be lighter with "eyeliner" instead of a full black cap like this one.

She dont seem sick no cough or anything she just goes and jumps on perch and sleeps both laying and standing she dont seem weak she has no problem jumping but dont seem to move very fast and sleeps unless I take her out.....I no she was about to lay a egg yesterday she was fine squatting when I walked up to her she was in box fixing it up her sister started last week laying...I dont know no signs of anything she just fluffs up and sleeps eyes closed and dont care what happends around her....I take her out and shes walks around 5min pecks drinks and all but then right back to perch to sleep my thought was a egg stuck but I couldn't really tell
You ought to post in the Emergencies and Diseases section to see if you can get more opinions. I'm not great with sickness. Have you looked up the symptoms of being egg bound?

Back
Top Bottom