Easter Egger crosses and sex-linking

Jsawa

In the Brooder
May 12, 2020
Recently hatched 19 eggs. Easter egger rooster with Speckled Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock and Light Brown Leghorn hens. From what I understand the barred rock is sex-linked? White dot on head means Rooster, right? Are any of these other breeds sexlinked?

Also, does anyone have good resources for rehoming roosters?

Attachments

• B002B51E-F5F8-46C6-9A73-CE53B1CC340C.jpeg
    B002B51E-F5F8-46C6-9A73-CE53B1CC340C.jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 125
  • E0481D90-4EA5-487D-A920-D1956DAF8730.jpeg
    E0481D90-4EA5-487D-A920-D1956DAF8730.jpeg
    625.4 KB · Views: 62
I have some similarly mixed chicks that are about 7 weeks old right now. Not sure who is from what hen, but a primarily white EE roo over Wyandotte, speckled sussex, buff Orpington, and EE hens (labeled as Americana at the feed store, just an EE though).
View attachment 2776084
roo
View attachment 2776085
Roo
View attachment 2776086
Roo
View attachment 2776087
Roo
View attachment 2776088
roo
View attachment 2776089
hen -looks like the first one but cleaner pattern

Just thought I’d share in case you get something similar. I’ve also not posted pictures before so hope this works !
Out of curiosity, how do the last two chicks look now?

Only one Hen out of the whole bunch?:rolleyes: Whatever happened to the 50/50 ratio?
Your EE roo (1st picture) and ?Wyandotte? - next to last pic- , and your hen are just gorgeous! But, then, I'm partial to Smokey grey colors in chicks:p.
Too bad it wasn't the reverse (white hen), because then you might have been able to tell the sex at hatch.
I had two hens out of 6, just didn’t catch a picture of the other. She is white with red lacing on some feathers, very pretty. I hatched two different batches, so one of the cockerals may be from the other hatch. I’ll try getting an updated picture of some of them for RoostersAreAwesome.
And I love the Smokey color too- so I’m curious if the red cockeral with the Smokey tail will be an interesting one to keep back for Smokey color influence? Or the black/gray guy, he seems a bit like he could share some interesting colors. But not really a blue color, right?

I had two hens out of 6, just didn’t catch a picture of the other. She is white with red lacing on some feathers, very pretty. I hatched two different batches, so one of the cockerals may be from the other hatch. I’ll try getting an updated picture of some of them for RoostersAreAwesome.
And I love the Smokey color too- so I’m curious if the red cockeral with the Smokey tail will be an interesting one to keep back for Smokey color influence? Or the black/gray guy, he seems a bit like he could share some interesting colors. But not really a blue color, right?
All the chicks in your previous post except the orange one with yellow legs have the blue gene, which causes that gray coloration.

All the chicks in your previous post except the orange one with yellow legs have the blue gene, which causes that gray coloration.
Here are some updates pictures.
CD2783B5-0105-4835-807F-CE69B8FDEB3C.jpeg

0655743F-11D7-4560-8D07-0A98BFDA81AA.jpeg

837E8418-5BBF-4308-A930-E5D1141BB64C.jpeg

6A70F372-1516-486A-A2EA-64F516CDE8B3.jpeg

Two pullets from the hatch with EE, the white one on the right and the gray head with red neck and mixed body on the left. Both so cute with muffs!

They are about twelve weeks old now. Unfortunately the pretty boy at the top is a jerk to his fellow chicks, so not planning a future with him. And we went on vacation for about 10 days so they are skittish at the moment, hence the pictures from a distance.

Anyway, thanks for the interest and replies. Always fun to learn.

Here are some updates pictures.View attachment 2820128
View attachment 2820131
View attachment 2820132
View attachment 2820134
Two pullets from the hatch with EE, the white one on the right and the gray head with red neck and mixed body on the left. Both so cute with muffs!

They are about twelve weeks old now. Unfortunately the pretty boy at the top is a jerk to his fellow chicks, so not planning a future with him. And we went on vacation for about 10 days so they are skittish at the moment, hence the pictures from a distance.

I LOVE- LOVE- LOVE your Roo in the second pic. He has gotten even prettier as he has matured. I hope he is a nice boy (I know, EE/americaunas tend to be a bit flighty...but hope he is good to the girls]

From a previous reply, it sounds like him, crossed with your whitish girl, could produce some very pretty colored offspring. Might still be darker than the more lavender-ish color you want, but I think he is gorgeous as is:love

Here are some updates pictures.View attachment 2820128
View attachment 2820131
View attachment 2820132
View attachment 2820134

Looks you have a blue laced silver/gold (first cockerel), three blues with varying amounts of red leakage, and a splash with red leakage (lighter pullet). They’re beautiful!

Recently hatched 19 eggs. Easter egger rooster with Speckled Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock and Light Brown Leghorn hens. From what I understand the barred rock is sex-linked? White dot on head means Rooster, right? Are any of these other breeds sexlinked?

Also, does anyone have good resources for rehoming roosters?
@Lacy Duckwing, this kind person needs rehoming help. 😉 .

Back
Top Bottom