Easter Egger Question

Bedste

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Cut n Shoot Texas
If I have an EE roo and an EE hen..... will they have EE chicks? I had read somewhere about the blue cancelling out each other....

also ...... another Q.... If my EE roo and my BO have chicks are they EE?

EE is a mix, a mutt. As long as it had a blue laying parent somewhere in its tree, its an EE.

The same for any of the offspring, they will be EE's if you mix 2 EE's or 1 EE and anything else.

Last edited:
theres alot of confusion about EEs if they are both EEs then they will have EE's if you breed two BR's together you'll get BR's same concept an EE is just ameraucana heritage with a mix of some other things

A EE is a mutt with the potential to lay a coloured egg. If you breed EE to EE you will still have a EE, because the potential is still there, If you breed anything to an EE rooster you have a mutt chicken that posseses the potential to lay a coloured egg.

Quote:
Do you mean will their female offspring still lay eggs other than brown or white?

If both chickens have pea combs, you could still get chickens that lay either bluish or greenish eggs or you may not. Here is some of the characteristics listed on the Easter Egger Club of American's Standards of Perfection which describe the ideal Easter Egger, but they also allow for chickens not displaying all these characters to still be considered Easter Eggers, but not of the same high quality. So technically, you will still have Easter Eggers.

Peacomb is a dominant genetic trait that is linked to the blue egg gene, and blue or green egg laying is what most folks are hoping for when they are considering Easter Eggers.

Basically, if both parents carry only one copy of the gene each and thus display the pea comb, you could still get a 25% chance of straight combed chicks that don't have the blue egg laying gene. If one or both parents carry two copies of the dominant pea comb gene, you will get chicks that will most likely mature to lay colored eggs.

If you search you can probably find a very detailed break down of it. If you add a straight combed chicken into the gene pool somewhere, that is where the colors other than blue come into play. Olive, Green, and more. I had an Easter Egger with an odd modified Straight comb (it was kind of wavy) that laid sort of yellow eggs. Otherwise she looked like an Easter Egger in coloring, muffs, beard, and feet.

Ok, another silly question.
My EE Roo has the pea comb... If I cross him with the Americanas and get more EE's what are the chances of getting one that will lay the pink eggs?

i read that pea comb means that they carry the blue egg gene.....and if your talking about pure ameraucanas then they will probably lay a blue egg and if you breed them to another EE its hard to tell because of the mess of genetics behind them

Back
Top Bottom