Easter eggers... 2 weeks old pullets or cockerels?

jessicafaith992

In the Brooder
May 30, 2020
Hi I’m new here, I know it’s hard to sex chicks at this young age but anyone have any opinions? Chick 1.
AB3827D7-58F1-4819-BE24-772527FB017D.jpeg
AA6CAAEC-B9DC-4112-ADF5-86CE7EDB7A51.jpeg

chick 2
0F6B7FD8-0F5A-4E0F-BAF0-99BBF7C53B1C.jpeg
83B65F4D-9DB0-407C-A89A-F9C052F04864.jpeg

Easter eggers can be difficult to sex. Mine are nine weeks old and I am pretty sure I have two males and 4 females. Here is a pic of my most developed male. His comb has been pretty red for about 3 weeks but he still has no wattles but Easter eggers have little ones anyway, so I’ve been told. ☺️
69D53C8D-2301-44BE-8CFA-C2EFE961CD6A.jpeg

The red one looks like a Cream Legbar mix (I so wanted my EEs to have those little crests!), and the comb always throws me on those, so I would be of zero help there.

The light one is tough, too. The feathering does sort of have a pattern, which would indicate pullet. Males are more blotchy and often have rust-colored spots on their shoulders. But that's a big comb for 7 weeks. Does it ever turn really red?

I have a sexed-as-a-pullet EE cockerel the same age as your EEs. This was taken yesterday--he's on the left, obviously--and you can see how red his comb is, and not just when he's trying to look tough in front of an older bird. It started turning red at 4 weeks.
The red one looks like a Cream Legbar mix (I so wanted my EEs to have those little crests!), and the comb always throws me on those, so I would be of zero help there.

The light one is tough, too. The feathering does sort of have a pattern, which would indicate pullet. Males are more blotchy and often have rust-colored spots on their shoulders. But that's a big comb for 7 weeks. Does it ever turn really red?

I have a sexed-as-a-pullet EE cockerel the same age as your EEs. This was taken yesterday--he's on the left, obviously--and you can see how red his comb is, and not just when he's trying to look tough in front of an older bird. It started turning red at 4 weeks.
The comb doesn’t turn really red. They are both confusing me too. I already have a rooster so I’m really needing them to both be pullets 😂

I still see the first as a pullet the second is kind of looking like a pullet. Hopefully you luck out. The waddles are coming in a little pinkish though but they are mixed so it is still possible for 2 pullets.

I'll think good thoughts for you! I was in the same boat, except mine was a clear cockerel from day 2 (and unfortunately I picked him up at the feed store on day 1. Why did I pick the fluffy light-colored one!? I knew better! Couldn't resist his cheeks).

Feather sexing worked for him, btw, though I know you can't rely on that with EEs. By week 2, his comb had 3 rows--also not a definite--but in this case, yep! He's a boy.

In my case, I have enough space and enough coops so am waiting to see his personality unfold. Working to integrate the boys before the little one hits puberty so they can at least see each other as family before they decide if they can co-exist in the yard together. Our existing rooster stays either way.

Also you were right about the fb page being very addicting!

Back
Top Bottom