Easter Eggers Flying At Eachother

oystercrackers

Songster
Jul 28, 2019
Midwest, USA
Hello!
I Got Three 3 Month Old Easter Egger Pullets Two weeks ago, and they tend to fly at each other.
They Don't seem to Peck much at each other, though. I Couldn't Find anything about this so I was wondering rather this is normal, as I have heard they are a flighty breed, Or if they are establishing something like a pecking order, or possibly fighting. they do sleep next to each other on a roost so I don't think they're fighting, but I'm open to possible answers to them flying at each other.

Thank You.

Last edited:
Hello!
I Got Three 6 Month Old Easter Egger Pullets Two weeks ago, and they tend to fly at each other.
They Don't seem to Peck much at each other, though. I Couldn't Find anything about this so I was wondering rather this is normal, as I have heard they are a flighty breed, Or if they are establishing something like a pecking order, or possibly fighting. they do sleep next to each other on a roost so I don't think they're fighting, but I'm open to possible answers to them flying at each other.

Thank You.
Posting pics or a video would be helpful for us. Just from my personal experience, it's common for young EEs to jump on each other, chest bump, and lunge. Once they establish a pecking order, they settle down, but as youngsters, they're pretty sassy

Are you by chance walking through there area when they are doing this?
Are they pulling each others feathers when they do this?
It sounds to me like they are spooked by you or something else.
Are you sure they are pullets and not cockrels?
Sorry, maybe pictures or a video clip will help.
Young chicks fly and spar with each other (mock fighting) but its more like play.
Maybe thats what yours are doing.
If they were confined before maybe they are enjoying more space now and testing their wings.
Welcome to the backyard by the way!!

Are you by chance walking through there area when they are doing this?
Are they pulling each others feathers when they do this?
It sounds to me like they are spooked by you or something else.
Are you sure they are pullets and not cockrels?
Sorry, maybe pictures or a video clip will help.
Young chicks fly and spar with each other (mock fighting) but its more like play.
Maybe thats what yours are doing.
If they were confined before maybe they are enjoying more space now and testing their wings.
Welcome to the backyard by the way!!

I'll try to watch from a distance to see if they fly at each other then, but I have been near or walking through the area when they've done this so far.
I Haven't seen any feather pulling, just flying a few feet up in the air and landing nearly on each other.
I Am Fairly sure they're pullets, but I'm still suspicious. No crowing from what I've heard, But ill keep an eye out.
They had around the same space they had before and a high ceiling, but they still might be stretching out in the open. They are still contained in a run, though its a good size. There were also lots of other pullets with them before we got them so that may be another reason for flying around.

I'll try to watch from a distance to see if they fly at each other then, but I have been near or walking through the area when they've done this so far.
I Haven't seen any feather pulling, just flying a few feet up in the air and landing nearly on each other.
I Am Fairly sure they're pullets, but I'm still suspicious. No crowing from what I've heard, But ill keep an eye out.
They had around the same space they had before and a high ceiling, but they still might be stretching out in the open. They are still contained in a run, though its a good size. There were also lots of other pullets with them before we got them so that may be another reason for flying around.
If they're pullets, they're still young and a bit hormonal. They'll probably mellow with age, but to me it sounds like they're getting their pecking order established. Once you can post pics, we'll help you figure out for sure what sex they are, and we'll then be able to give you better advice.

Ill Try to give a good description right now as I cant get pictures up at the moment.
Cotton is almost all white with a cat orange at the tips, pea comb and a small wattle. reddish wattle and comb.

Cherry is the opposite of cotton, almost all cat orange with white tips. same pea comb and small wattle. reddish color.

Black lightning, Yes, We still assume she is a pullet, but the name came from my brother.
All black feathers, we are seeing some shimmery green though. same pea comb and small wattle.

From what I've seen from the molting, they all have roundish feathers.

If they're pullets, they're still young and a bit hormonal. They'll probably mellow with age, but to me it sounds like they're getting their pecking order established. Once you can post pics, we'll help you figure out for sure what sex they are, and we'll then be able to give you better advice.

Alright, Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom