1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Eggers from Hatcheries

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Featherland, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I was wondering about everyones experience with getting green or blue or brown eggs from easter eggers from different hatcheries.

For example I have gotten 3 ee's from McMurray and all of them laid green eggs.

How many ee's have you gotten from what hatchery and what percentage laid green/blue eggs?

2. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I got two from Mt Healthy last January and both lay green eggs. Prior to that I got a pair from a local feed store (I think they got them from Privett but I'm not 100% sure) and of that pair, one lays green and one lays a pinky-browny color. I love them all though - their personalities are really funny and they're very outgoing.

3. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    From Cackle Hatchery: About 15 over the years. 100% green.

Through feed store: 2 chicks. 100% green.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    McMurray 100 percent green
    Ideal 100 percent green

Never came out with blue or other colors. A neighbor of mine had a flock of Ameraucanas a few years before I ordered mine, she had all sorts of colors, different shades of blue, green, a pink and one lavender all from McMurray.

Too bad she got lucky while the rest of us had green egg layers, nothing more.

5. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Meyers Hatchery, 2 blue and 2 green

6. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley

Oh, no, I am not disappointed at all. I wanted the all green egg layers. I did not want any of the brown, yellow, pink, or lavender eggs because they all look brown to me. The blue eggs look green to me. So 100% green is exactly what I wanted and I am thrilled with my green egg layers.

7. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I'm subscribing so I can see if anyone has ordered EE's from mypetchicken. I am getting 4 this spring, I am hoping for some green or blue eggs. It sounds like this mutt breed is nice for temperament, so I'm so I'll be happy no matter the egg color. :)

8. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    2 years ago I bought EEs from Meyer hatchery. They all looked like golden lakenvelders and laid the blue-est eggs. I hated to sell them! Strombergs, McMurray and Mt. Healthy laid all colors. (All purchased within the last 3 years)

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    My neighbor got 11 Easter Egger hens from Cackle. 8 laid blue/green eggs and 3 laid "pink" eggs.

I've had 5 Easter Egger hens from McMurray. 4 laid blue/green eggs and one laid brown eggs.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  10. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    We got five from Cackle in 2009. 2 laid green, 2 laid pinkish, and one laid blue. We got 6 from Cackle this year and I think we ended up with 4 green layers and one pale blue. One of the greens is a gorgeous moss green.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by