Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Library, this girl still has her chick fuzz. She wouldn't be able to go out without a heat lamp for about five more weeks. She wouldn't be able to go in with the big girls for a couple more. That's why I was offering to keep her until she's big enough. She has three hatchmates here and I have the brooder space for her until she's old enough to go in the tractor. These Orps grow slow. They don't lay until they're six to eight months old and don't reach maximum heftiness until they're eighteen months old. If you want to grow her out yourself, you are more than welcome, though. I just didn't know if you wanted to fool with setting up a brooder with a lamp and all of that if you didn't have to...

Stang, the big shelter you're talking about has a great play structure right beside it. If I get a chance, I'll call there tomorrow and I'll call the city office about the parks here in town, too. We're looking at the last weekend in June, right?

Library, this girl still has her chick fuzz. She wouldn't be able to go out without a heat lamp for about five more weeks. She wouldn't be able to go in with the big girls for a couple more. That's why I was offering to keep her until she's big enough. She has three hatchmates here and I have the brooder space for her until she's old enough to go in the tractor. These Orps grow slow. They don't lay until they're six to eight months old and don't reach maximum heftiness until they're eighteen months old. If you want to grow her out yourself, you are more than welcome, though. I just didn't know if you wanted to fool with setting up a brooder with a lamp and all of that if you didn't have to...

Stang, the big shelter you're talking about has a great play structure right beside it. If I get a chance, I'll call there tomorrow and I'll call the city office about the parks here in town, too. We're looking at the last weekend in June, right?
June 23rd, the next to last weekend. At noon.

Yes I use canned cat food in my trap. I have trapped all kinds of stuff. Including one ticked off skunk! That was fun lol. But if you get a skunk you will smell it before you get close to the cage. This week I have gotten a raccoon and 2 feral cats. All relocated far away. I always keep the trap set in the back of my coop. I make it easy for them to get it compared to digging and clawing at the pens.

Has anyone ever has a runt chick? I have one JG chick that is about 6 weeks old and still has baby fluff everywhere except for little wing feathers and is less than 1/2 the size of the other JG chicks that are the same age. Its very weird...

That sounds perfect tennesseeckn! Just let me know when she's ready :) i wasn't sure how long they needed to be under heat etc.

Good to know re: sand!

blocking the nest box worked perfect last night!

librarychicken,
I use the deep litter method, I put a sprinkling of sevin dust down under shavings racking everything over when I add new shavings (to the existing ones) once a week, along with a sprinkle on top of sweetPDZ stall freshener. I throw a handful of scratch/ black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) on top each morning and my girls turn everything over. I have a poop deck 3 inches deep, with the roost running down the center of, that I have a bag of sweet PDZ on that I scoop the poo out of every morning. Every day I spent 5 minutes refilling water/ feed/turning on the fan and scoop detail. Once a week I, clean and sanitize the feeders, waterier, scrape the roosts, remove/replace the nest shavings, pull back and rake over the shavings-remove anything wet, and PDZ if needed, check over everything for dug-in to places or minor repairs -takes 30 minutes tops--not including dry time on the feeder. I have 2 metal tube feeders, so I clean/sanitize one allow it to dry in the sunshine, and take the one from the week before to refill. I found the design for the poop deck the day before my DH was building the roost, thespoiledchicken had posted amazing picture and info under the thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621363/poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures. I knew about sweetPDZ because I use it for my donkey--the ammonia gas is broken down instantly, and does no harm to chickens or composting and I have No chicken manure smell. I seriously thought about using builder's sand, but I can't take the dust. This winter I probably use leaves instead of just pine shavings.
Totally cool pic Bairo!!
Thanks for the link. The PDZ is an awesome ideal, looks like I have another project to do this weekend.
I think it is number 784 or 785. Not sure if
barnie.gif
or
lau.gif

Talbott poultry, you should see my DHeart's Honey-do-list!!
Library, I hope I didn't over share, being new I try to include it all-- new info can lead to new thinking, and hopefully saving time.
Bairo, last shot pen C last night at midnight,continuing to soak every other day for the next 10 days.
how do you know your home and 2 acres has become micro-farm? when you find yourself at midnight removing bandages, soaking feet, wanting on a pair of hands to come home from work to hold for you so you can re-bandage and give your chickens shots. And you know he's home because the donkey's braying trying to get him to come over to pet him--before he comes around to the barn and helps out. I really am looking forward to going to bed before 1:00am.

Is the meet-up open to anybody? and is the Knoxville location closer to Chattanooga than Norris?
I need 2 or 3 more hens, by June my husband should have either the coop moved/and converted or a Q-pen set up, a few months to under 18 months preferably australorps, speckled Sussex--some breed that's a profuse laying, and colored so the hawks won't pick them right out, calm and friendly--really would like to get delawares but recent reading on pasturing my girls has me worried about using white birds--saving that thought for a confined run.
I don't know if sweet PDZ is sold at the co-op, I buy mine at TSC

Last edited:
Is the meet-up open to anybody? and is the Knoxville location closer to Chattanooga than Norris?
The two are very close to the same for you. Both about 2 hours. Of course the get together is open to anyone
big_smile.png

It's just something we came up with to socialize, eat (of course), trade chickens, and put faces with names. I think actually tnbarnqueen came up with the idea....and I am glad she did
hugs.gif
That last one was our first one and I think we had around 20 people. Had a great time

Last edited:
Well I did it! I got all my extra chickens gone. I also got LaMar gone. So now I"m in the market for a blue copper maran or splash maran rooster for new gene pool. So any one within my area who may have one for sale let me know. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom