Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are eating whatever they can find. I feel bad for them but when someone hits one with a car you can rest assured the people who own them will not claim them. Idk about the feed other than they usually put them up for a few weeks before slaughter. Its something people have done for as long as I can remember.
Probably some of the healthiest cows you'll ever eat. No one has chocked them full of chemicals or horomones and they eat what their body needs.

Hunting is great! Me/hubby go every year hunting deer. And yes, they are easier to hunt than Turkey's. Turkey's have incredible eyes and see you move even if you only flinch. And you have to get closer to them.

Last year, we were in the midst of our move and we decided to go one day. The powers that be saw fit to send 2 doe's together to the same tree at the same time and we both killed a deer 45 mins after we hit the woods. YUM YUM. I haven't bought beef in over 8 years. We have been lucky.

We enjoy it and its something we can do away from the world. And you can be amazed at the nature you get to see while doing it. Last year I let an awesome buck walk behind my stand while watching a momma bird feed her little babies nestled in a log on the ground in front of me.
th.gif
Luckily, he didn't get past the hubby.

So anyone who wants to try it....go for it! Buck Fever is something you will NEVER forget.
ep.gif
I don't think I will ever hunt deer. I like poultry because it's easy to clean... a deer is too much work. Heavy, bloody, nahhhhhh

We take ours to a little processing place. Nice family owned place in Watauga. They do an awesome job packaging. My brother tried to do his own once....I have never quite heard the english language so colorful...if you know what I mean.
lol.png

Ok, I am doing a staggered hatch and need some advice
barnie.gif
. I have 4 eggs that will go on lock down on Wednesday. I have another 18 that will go on lockdown 3 days after that. What should I do about the humidity? I am afraid to increase it to much. If I keep it at the 40% it's been running will it be to dry for them to get out? These were some very good show stock of Serama eggs, and I don't want to mess this up at the end. I got 22 of 35 eggs this far and that's pretty good for shipped eggs. Even better for Serama becasue they are hard to hatch.

Does anyone in my area here sell or trade bantys. i'm trying to get rid of my big birds and go small will post what i have some time today.
The problem with "trading" birds a lot is the diseases you could bring into your flock, so people are hesitant when it comes to just throwing birds around to other people and then taking someone else's birds in. How do we know you got your birds from clean sources if you're so persistent on trading? (Usually there are what we call "flippers" that get birds then flip them for a profit, these birds are the most susceptible to disease from the stresses of being moved several times, problem is, they're usually the "cheaper" birds). To answer your question, not many people that care for their birds "trade" a lot... Did you get the birds from a hatchery? Which one? Did you find them at the flea market? Do you have any more information to rest assure anyone on here that trading birds isn't going to bring a disease into our flocks? I don't like being blunt with people, but you're very persistent about trading instead of just selling what you have and then buying what you want.

Ok, I am doing a staggered hatch and need some advice
barnie.gif
. I have 4 eggs that will go on lock down on Wednesday. I have another 18 that will go on lockdown 3 days after that. What should I do about the humidity? I am afraid to increase it to much. If I keep it at the 40% it's been running will it be to dry for them to get out? These were some very good show stock of Serama eggs, and I don't want to mess this up at the end. I got 22 of 35 eggs this far and that's pretty good for shipped eggs. Even better for Serama because they are hard to hatch.
crank it up on Thursday pm or Friday am. Yes 40% is too low when they start pipping. The other eggs are far enough along they should easily be able to handle the higher humidity. I always "dry incubated" until lock down but have since learned through error that they really need that humidity towards the end. I think I may have been too dry during the process on some occasions. I decided with the shipped eggs I got last week to try and run about 50-60% and then 75% or better at lock down.

Last edited:
Now that I caught up... here is what I did tonight. Please don't judge me... I wish it was better but I never used a dremel on anything, let alone a pumpkin. Next one will be better.

And sorry for the blurryness.... my camera wouldn't shut it's shutter until much later. Hard to stay still.

That rocks. Did you have a pattern to go by? I've seen people carve the photos out, but I've never done it. (why does that make me want to eat?)

Well wish I could make it to picnic cause I sure am gonna miss stangs black bottom cupcakes
hit.gif
but alas UT has other ideas how I should spend my days. There are so many good cooks among us I really hate to miss it. Enjoy ya'll but think about me plugging away at work.
barnie.gif
Everyone has been so busy posting worked 2 days come back to find 16 pages to catch up on.
Stang some cutey bunnies you got omg so very small !!!
big_smile.png

Since the big molt hit was getting 1 or 2 eggs every couple days went out this am to find 3 very small beginning eggs finally some of my pols are getting started. They sure are little right now got used to those xl eggs.But thank goodness the chickeys are finally getting some feathers back they looked so pitiful being so nekked. Now my brahmas are starting to get nekked I feel so bad for them. Feathers every where you would think someone had killed a bunch in the runs. Been trying to keep the runs cleaned out with all those feathers. It looks like I could probably stuff several of those body pillows.
lau.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom