Eaten Eggs!!

DaisyDaGuicken

Chirping
Jan 27, 2021
These few weeks, we have been missing eggs from 2 of our hens. When I checked the laying places the eggs were missing. The first few times, there wasn't any sign of shell or anything. Then today, I found 2 shells near the hatching area of our chickens. We have a pretty protected and fenced place so I'm thinking its probably a flying animal. I am not so sure. If this has happen to you or you have some experience about this, please tell me if I could do anything about it. I don't always have time to collect the eggs the day they are laid. Thank you!

A variety of creatures will steal eggs. Including snakes and your own chickens. Flying predators such as hawks are unlikely to steal eggs though. I would set up a game camera around the laying area it’s probably the only way to know for certain other than stumbling up on whatever it is in the coop.

We have jays that break open eggs. Very frustrating since they are so smart, it's hard to exclude them when the pop door is open for the hens all day. And if the hens find a broken egg, they will often go ahead and finish eating it. My dog has occasionally found eggs outside on the ground and will crack them open and lick the shells clean.

Scrub jay damage from today. Dog gets the remains for dinner.
20210227_162404.jpg

Your chickens could be eating their eggs. Skunks and opossums will eat them as well.
Thank you for the info. I will look into it even though I'm skeptical it was the chickens. I know that the chickens won't also eat the shell because the first few times the shell was also gone.

We have jays that break open eggs. Very frustrating since they are so smart, it's hard to exclude them when the pop door is open for the hens all day. And if the hens find a broken egg, they will often go ahead and finish eating it. My dog has occasionally found eggs outside on the ground and will crack them open and lick the shells clean.

Scrub jay damage from today. Dog gets the remains for dinner.
View attachment 2548075
Well that's unfortunate! I don't have a dog so it probably wasn't that. :D

A variety of creatures will steal eggs. Including snakes and your own chickens. Flying predators such as hawks are unlikely to steal eggs though. I would set up a game camera around the laying area it’s probably the only way to know for certain other than stumbling up on whatever it is in the coop.
Thank you for the info!

Thank you for the info. I will look into it even though I'm skeptical it was the chickens. I know that the chickens won't also eat the shell because the first few times the shell was also gone.
Chickens will eat the shell! Often there are no signs other than missing eggs if chickens are the culprit. Though the one of mine that does tends to leave some dried egg on others in the nest.

Chickens will eat the shell! Often there are no signs other than missing eggs if chickens are the culprit. Though the one of mine that does tends to leave some dried egg on others in the nest.
Oh ok thank you!! It'd just that today the eggs were still there. It's either the chickens only sometimes eat the eggs or the predator only eats one egg at a time.

Back
Top Bottom