economic crunch and layoffs

Well, I have the best of both worlds I guess when it comes to my up bringin. My MOTHEr was the redneck survivalist. Gardens, deer hunting ,chickens, just a good ol Northern Missouri country girl . MY dad was a buisness man from upstate NY. They were divorced when I was 7. My mom tought me the old ways as my father tought me buisness. I have been out of work since June 08. I put 3 deer in the freezer, butchered myself. We have chickens and can live off the land. My wife on the other hand cant do without electricity, stoking up to her is buying something when we are out of it. I am trying to make her see, but I dont think she can emotionaly handle the way things are now. I see it as a challenge. 13 horses and 2 cows we will survive, she would rather turn on the FM stereo and listen to music than be informed about whats goin on. I love her to death, but realy if it wasnt for me she would e ne of those starving wonderin why. My children are self sufficient also. As the Ol song goes," I can skin a buck, run a trout line, and a country boy (or girl ) can survive."
wink.png

I am 38, my wife is 34.

Last edited:
A few of the best "teachings" i've learned and lived by over the years are:

(1) learn to fish, don't wait for someone to give you the fish.

(2) live well below your means and then stay the course during hard times - you'll not notice too much differance in your household.

(3) "Things" clutter our lives, scale back and keep what you truly need & love.

(4) Minutes after you leave this earth, no one cares what you drive, what you wear and where you vacation - they will only care about YOU....... so don't sweat not having all the fancy stuff.

Oh and by then way I was thinking, I see alot of "city folk" buying and building chicken coops. I think I am gonna try hatch and sell chicks this spring. I think it will make a little money with these people trying to figure things out. And I will try to help them. I figure if they are smart enough to try and provide for them selves, they will be willing to listen and learn about how to realy do it and maybe make it through a little bit easier than the others.

That a good idea Opie. If I figure things out, I might try the same with ducks. Even though I am outside of city limits, I am in a very suburban area filled with handy blue-collar types. My neighbor even had chickens for a while.

Yup hard on everyone. My husband was laid off right before Christmas. But they want to keep him on payroll till who knows when. He already has another job which starts in mid. Jan. I am thankful we are ok, when some people aren't. I just pray things pick up , I am so sad to see so many people lossing jobs. My husband has been with his company for over 12 years.
sad.png

He said it was hard boxing his stuff up and leaving.

We've only been hit a little here, my dad is getting less hours with his business but it has been like this for ages not recently. There are lots of jobs in debt collecting though
big_smile.png
So my mum might finally get back into the work force in Telecom as a debt collector. Horrible job, great hours, amazing pay. I'd hate to be the collector, but everyone needs to make some money, especially these days.

Aside from some things we weren't expecting, we're doing okay so far.

For those of us with land, life will be just a little easier than those without in the future. Small farms will become hard to find for those who are looking to sell off the city living and make their own way with produce, eggs, etc. Unfortunately I can't see all cities adapting to the times and allowing chickens, livestock, etc. like the UK cities of the past where having a few chickens, a goat, some sheep, etc. was commonplace in the city.

Our small farm appreciated in value since we bought it, insurance values it at $350,000, and with it's smaller size, ability to have all animals, run businesses, etc. and within commuting distance to a city it has appreciated in value according to estate agents as well.

Times are tough, but as my mum said.. "I've been through 2 recessions, this is no different, just the people who are suffering are those who have no experience with the hardships of real life, some don't even know how to cook! or garden!"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom