Edited: Big Liver Spleen/ Graphic Photos

Resistance does not mean that it can't be passed through the eggs, which is my chief concern. It would be a big problem if major breeders of Cream Legbars had stock that was infected with lymphoid leukosis, since that would mean that the chicks they are selling have a high probability of being infected as well.
Yes. I’ve stopped all sales and won’t be resuming. FWIW I stopped breeding CL in spring. My flock is closed now.

Yes. I’ve stopped all sales and won’t be resuming. FWIW I stopped breeding CL in spring. My flock is closed now.
I'm so sorry. You know, I was reading about how some breeders were able to eradicate LL in their flocks without culling everyone. It has to do with selectively hatching small batches of chicks, keeping them isolated and testing to see whether they develop symptoms of LL. By doing this, you can identify which hens in your flock are carriers and which aren't, then cull all the carriers. Difficult I know, but maybe worth it depending on the value of your birds.

Screenshot_20210927-130419.png

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/neoplasms/lymphoid-leukosis-in-poultry

Here's what I've been reading. I honestly only understand like 10% of it, but maybe someone else can translate a bit more how big of a 'deal' this is in terms of biosecurity, spreading it and fate of the flock

I'm so sorry. You know, I was reading about how some breeders were able to eradicate LL in their flocks without culling everyone. It has to do with selectively hatching small batches of chicks, keeping them isolated and testing to see whether they develop symptoms of LL. By doing this, you can identify which hens in your flock are carriers and which aren't, then cull all the carriers. Difficult I know, but maybe worth it depending on the value of your birds.
Thank you. It’s okay. They have some value but mostly it is my irrationally enormous attachment to them. As of this morning I identified a cockerel with fowl pox so I’m just going to go numb for a while until the dust settles.

I’m going to try to eliminate everything possible so thank you for your post. I’m attaching a second photo as a thumbnail. Warning it is graphic. It doesn’t show a lot of fat. I feed Purina Layena and Flock Raiser. The first to die was on the first and the second was just five months old so she was still in Flock Raider.
I get my hands inside my birds almost weekly. That's not graphic, and I see no evidence of excessive fat in the body cavity. The irregular coloration of all those organs is NOT a good sign. Even the ovary doesn't look as I'd expect.

This (obviously) was a boy, but its the only recent photos of what I want to find when I open one up. May provide some useful contrast for others who want to compare photos.

Last edited:
I get my hands inside my birds almost weekly. That's not graphic, and I see no evidence of excessive fat in the body cavity. The irregular coloration of all those organs is NOT a good sign. Even the overy doesn't look as I'd expect.

This (obviously) was a boy, but its the only recent photos of what I want to find when I open one up. May provide some useful contrast for others who want to compare photos.
Thank you. I agree. Btw, I didn’t think it would bother you at all. I was thinking of the younger or more sensitive folks.

Thank you. It’s okay. They have some value but mostly it is my irrationally enormous attachment to them. As of this morning I identified a cockerel with fowl pox so I’m just going to go numb for a while until the dust settles.
WOW! I am so sorry, you are getting hit with body blows from all sides. I'll be the first to offer a truth of little comfort, one that never satisfies. "This too, will pass".

Going to delay replacement birds till Spring, I assume?

I heard (while looking into this more too, but I don't think I saved the link) that you can buy a test kit too for this so you can test at home

:( At least fowl pox isn't the worst, and they don't become carriers. Is it wet or dry fowl pox?

I heard (while looking into this more too, but I don't think I saved the link) that you can buy a test kit too for this so you can test at home
For fowl pox or LL? Zoetis used to produce one for LL but it's no longer available :(

Thank you. I agree. Btw, I didn’t think it would bother you at all. I was thinking of the younger or more sensitive folks.
I think we can eliminate diet, and pronounce sub-clinical LL as the diagnosis with high confidence.

Will this change your future Mareks vaccination plans, or because you aldready have vaccinated birds, you will continue the practice, even with the risk of additional LL cases in the future?

Back
Top Bottom